How to Sync Plex Content with iOS or Android
Syncing content from your Plex Media Server with the Plex app on your iOS or Android device lets you access that content from anywhere. This is especially handy if you don't have remote access enabled on your server and you'll want to access content when you're not connected to the same network as your media server. Alternatively, even if you do have remote access enabled and set up, there are still going to be situations where you may not have cellular data connectivity that you'll want to be able to access some of your content. For example, you may be on an airplane that doesn't offer cellular data connectivity, or stuck in a regional pocket that's a dead zone for your cellular data provider. If space on your device is an issue, you can adjust the quality of the content being synced to reduce it so that it will take up less space on your device. It's also a pain-free process to remove synced content from the Plex app on your iOS or Android device.
Set Sync Settings
The first thing you'll want to do is review and adjust the sync settings for the device you want to sync your Plex content to. You can do this using the following instructions.
- Open the Plex app on the device you want to sync content to.
- Select "Settings." The Settings screen displays.
- Choose "Sync." The Sync screen appears.
- Turn on Use Cellular Data if you want to use cellular data to sync content with your Plex app.
- Use the toggle to the right of Storage Limit to put a cap on the amount of space taken up by synced content on your device.
Sync Music or Movies
- Navigate to the song or movie you want to sync with your device.
- Select the "Sync" icon. The Sync icon features a down-pointing arrow. You'll be taken to a Sync screen for that particular piece of content.
- Choose the currently display for Audio Quality if you're syncing music, or Video Quality if you're syncing a movie.
- Select the quality level for the content you're syncing. For both audio and video quality your options will be Highest, High, Medium, and Low.
- Choose "Save" after adjusting your settings. You'll be taken back to the main page for that content. A yellow bar appears across the bottom of the screen letting you know that your content is being synced. Another message will appear in a yellow bar letting you know when your sync is completed.
- Press the Menu button in the upper right corner of the screen, and then choose "Sync" to bring up the Sync screen, where you can see your list of synced content, and the status of any content being synced.
Sync Plex with iOS or Android
How to Delete Synced Content
- Open the Plex app, and then choose "Menu" and "Sync" to return back to the Sync menu.
- Choose "Delete All Content." A message appears asking if you want to delete all of your synced content. Selecting "Delete" again removes all synced content.
- Alternatively, you can select a specific item from the Sync menu. Tapping the "Delete" button on that page brings up a prompt asking if you're sure you want to delete that specific item. Tapping "Delete" again will remove that specific item.
- The ability to sync content is only available to Plex Pass members.
- Content can only be synced to the Plex app for Windows, Windows Phone, iOS, and Android.
- Deleting synced content from your device does not also remove that content from your Plex Media Server; it only removes that content from the device you synced it with, and you'll still be able to access content when connected to the same network as your Plex server, or remotely, if you have remote access enabled on your server.
© 2017 Max Dalton