How to Use Google Maps Offline
You may find that your ability to use Google Maps is sometimes disrupted by poor Wi-Fi access. Fortunately, the app provides access to some of its features even when you are not connected to the internet. You can use Google Maps offline by taking a few easy steps.
- Before you step out, look up your destination on the Maps.
- On the location’s window, click to pull the menu up from the bottom.
- Scroll through the tabs, then click on “Download” and click on “download” again on the next tab that shows up. Google Maps will automatically download the App of your desired location to your phone.
If you lose an internet connection, the Google Maps setting will switch to the offline version. Remember, the offline app will not give you real-time information such as the current traffic conditions in your location.
Locate EV Charging Stations
Whether you are taking your electric vehicle out for dinner or on vacation, you will need to recharge from time to time. The Google Maps app can not only display the available EV charging points along a route, but it can also display the average waiting times on a charging port. Based on your EV type, Google Maps will display compatible charging stations on your phone.
To access this feature, follow these simple steps:
- Go to Google Maps and then scroll to the tabs on the screen before clicking on “More.”
- Scroll down to the “Services” section and click “Electric Vehicle Charging.” Your Maps will automatically display the available EV charging stations along your route and surrounding areas.
- Click on any of the displayed charging stations and Google Maps will automatically add it as one of the stops on your trip. You can also use the steps to locate other things, like coffee shops along your route. The App will not display any results if there are no EV charging stations along the route.
How to Share Your Locations
Another useful feature of the Google Maps app is sharing your locations with others. It can become frustrating to travel with a group of people when everyone splits up and loses track of each other. Google Maps can help bring everyone back together with a few easy steps:
- Go to Google Maps and click on your profile icon at the top right corner of the page. Click on “Location sharing.”
- Another pop-up will show up, click on “share location” and select those you want to share your location with at any time of the day. You can also choose the duration you want to share the location.
- Click on “Share” and the app will automatically send your location to any designated contact.
If you plan to see someone’s location, you need to click on the person’s icon at the top of the Google Maps window and click on “Request.”
Remember, you can only use this feature to track the location of individuals who accept your requests to do so. It always takes two people to agree to use this feature to make location sharing easy.
Additional App Uses
There are many other ways Google Maps can be helpful during your travels or transportation. For instance, you can use it to make reservations at a restaurant or get on the waiting list. You can also use Google Maps to store your itinerary and save yourself the hassle of having to check your email and message notifications.
You can also discover how busy a side attraction is by viewing the human and vehicular traffic on the site in real time. If you plan on navigating through airports, train stations, and large shopping malls quickly, you should have Google Maps installed on your phone.
This is just a sampling of the tools provided by Google Maps. Do a deep dive and find the features that will benefit you.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.