My blog Werstylo reviews Amazon products, which help customers to find and buy high rated products.
Apple’s iOS 8 update finally arrived, and it’s available as a public beta to anyone who wants to install it. If you’re eager to see updated iPhone features, you can download the iOS 8 beta right now—but should you? Let’s talk about that.
Things to Know Before You Install
Before you install the iOS 16 beta on your iPhone, there are a few things you should know.
- Installing a beta can be risky. Betas are usually pretty stable, but there can be bugs that cause problems with your phone.
- You'll need to backup your phone before you install the beta. This way, if something goes wrong, you can restore your phone to its previous state.
- Make sure you have enough free space on your phone to install the beta. If you don't, your phone will prompt you to delete some of your photos or apps in order to create more room.
- Finally, when installing the beta, make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi and not using cellular data. If not, the installation process may take much longer.
How to Install the iOS 8 Beta
Before you install it, there are a few things you should know.
- Make sure your iPhone is compatible with the updated software.
- Back up your device.
- Be aware that installing a beta version of iOS can be buggy and may cause your iPhone to act strangely.
- Know that you can always go back to a previous version of iOS if you don't like the beta.
- Remember that this is just an early preview of the upcoming release.
If you're ready to install it:
- Find the file for your iPhone model in the list below and download it onto your computer's desktop.
- Connect your iPhone to iTunes via USB cable or Wi-Fi Sync and select it from within iTunes as shown below. When prompted by Apple Software Update, download and install the latest available update for your device (iOS 16).
How to Check If Your Device Is Compatible
Before you can install the iOS 16 beta, you need to check whether your device is compatible. To do this:
- Open Settings and tap General.
- Tap About, and look for the Software Version entry.
- If your device is running iOS 15 or lower, it isn't compatible with the new beta. You'll have to wait until September 2022 or later if you want to try out all of the latest features.
Is the Beta Safe?
Apple has released the public beta for iOS 16, and if you're feeling adventurous, you can install it on your iPhone right now. But before you do, there are a few things you should know.
- This is an unfinished product, so you may experience bugs or crashes. And since this is an unfinished product, some features may not work properly yet—like Wi-Fi calling or Night Shift mode.
- Some of your apps might not work as well with iOS 16 as they did with previous versions of the software. If that sounds like too much hassle to go through just to get a sneak peek at what's coming next in iPhone operating systems, don't worry—we won't tell anyone if you decide to wait until everything's been polished up before giving it a try.
How to Delete the Software
If you decide that you don't like the iOS 16 beta, or it's causing problems with your iPhone, you can delete it and go back to the stable version of iOS. Here's how:
- Go to Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management.
- Tap the iOS Beta Software Profile.
- Tap Delete Profile, then enter your passcode if prompted.
Benefits and Drawbacks
Now that Apple has released the public beta for iOS 8, you may be wondering if you should install it on your iPhone. Here's what you need to know before you make the decision.
The primary benefit of installing the new software is being able to use features before they are available in a final release.
However, there are some drawbacks: If you don't like something about it, there's no way to get back to a previous version and other people might not have compatible apps installed so they can't message or FaceTime with you anymore. And while Apple will eventually provide free updates for its operating system via iTunes and iCloud, beta versions are often not available through those avenues until after the next one is released.
Can You Still Use Apple Pay on Your Phone After Installing?
Yes! Apple Pay is still available on the iPhone with iOS 16 beta installed. In fact, you may find that using Apple Pay is even easier with the new update. Just make sure to keep your phone updated with the latest versions of your apps so you can continue to use Apple Pay without any issues.
If you are upgrading from an iPhone 5s or earlier, however, you will need to get a new card reader or upgrade your device. And if you want to install iOS 16 on your iPhone 4s, it’s not recommended because these devices are slower and less powerful than other models.
It's important to note that iOS updates usually work best when they're all in sync. So if you have a device running an older version of iOS, updating it could be more complicated than usual and take longer than normal. The same goes for moving up the chain—it's better to start with the oldest iPhone model and work your way up as opposed to skipping steps.
And since Apple announced three different devices at their September event this year—iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone SE—there are many options for every kind of user who wants a faster smartphone experience for about $450.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2022 Hasnain Qazi