Sprint Family Locator: Don't Sign Up Before Reading This
One of the greatest innovations in cell phone technology is the ability to use a cell phone as a GPS tracking device. Cell phone manufacturers started putting GPS receivers in all cell phones a few years ago so that 911 operators can see the exact location of someone calling for help. If you call 911 from your cell phone, your exact location will instantly pop up on the operator's computer screen.
This technology also works for individuals who want to track other people with cell phones. The Sprint Family Locator service allows you to track anyone you have added to your cell phone network, as long as they have their phone with them, it is turned on, and they're in the cell phone coverage area.
Features You Need to Know About
There are some important things that you must know about the Sprint Family Locator cell phone tracking service before signing up.
- This is the only cell phone tracking service that doesn't require you to download or install any special software on your phone. This makes it the perfect cell phone tracker if you don't have a modern programmable smartphone
- Sprint has some privacy features built into the service. The main one is this: When you first sign up, the phones that you have put on the program will get a text message that says that the phone is now a part of the tracking network.
- From time to time Sprint may also send out text messages reminding the user of the phone that it can be tracked.
- The person doing the tracking must have a username and password to track any particular phone. Sprint does this to protect the privacy of the user and so that not just anyone can track any old Sprint phone.
Advantages of the Service
- One of the nicest features is that you don't need to go out and buy a new cellphone to use the service. It will work with any Sprint or Nextel cell phone.
- One of my favorite features is the ability to set automated text messages. You can tell the system to send you a text message at a particular time of day with the exact location of anyone in network. If your partner is traveling, you can program the service to let you know when they arrive at their destination. This is also a great way to make sure that your children made it home from school safely every day.
- Many cell phone tracker services only work with new smart phones that are programmable and require that you download and install software onto the phone. This is not necessary to with the Sprint tracking service.
- If you do have one of a programmable smart phone, Sprint has a free app that enables you to track others in your cell phone tracking network directly from your smart phone. If you don't have a programmable phone, you will need a computer with an Internet. Enter your password on the service website and you will instantly see the location of the people in your network, if their phones are on.
- Most cell phone locator services require that you subscribe to a data plan but there are no hidden fees when you sign up for the Sprint cell phone tracking service.
- When you log into the service you will enter a password. This prevents other people from being able to track or locate people in your network.
Disadvantages of the Service
- Some users report that the service does not update tracked phone locations quickly enough to be useful.
- Sprint is required by law to send a text to phone users to let them know that they are being tracked. Sprint also sends a monthly text to remind these users. For people using the service to track someone without that person knowing, this feature is a major disadvantage.
- There are work-arounds for people with phones that are being tracked. They can simply turn the phone off, not bring the phone with them, switch their phone to airplane mode, or set their phone to "GPS location only for 911."
Sprint Family Locator Poll
Do you use the Sprint Family Locator on your cell phones?See results without voting
Know the laws before you use this service and don't use this technology to invade anyone's privacy!