Why Does My iPhone Say I Have a Text Message When I Don’t?
Sometimes the iPhone has a glitch that makes it say you have a message when you don't. Your messages app will display a "1" indicating that there is a new message, and even after you open the app to look, the "1" just never disappears.
It is annoying because you keep looking at it thinking you have missed something.
There are a number of possible reasons for this and more importantly solutions, which will quickly and easily solve your problem.
Reasons Why Your iPhone May Indicate A Text Message
Sometimes there is nothing obvious, so there are a few tips to consider:
- Place your finger on the top of the screen and pull down and a list of unread emails, events and text messages will appear.
- Have you received a message that was in a ‘group’, so a message that was sent to a number of recipients at the same time? There could be an unread message amongst them still. Open each SMS conversation and scroll through to the top to find the unread message.
- Close the SMS app in the task manager. Double click on the home button, and a row of recently active icons will appear. Scroll through until you can see the messages green icon and hold your finger down in it. A red minus symbol will appear. Select it and the app will quit. Then simply navigate back to your main screen and re-launch the app.
- Send an SMS to yourself.
- Reset your phone. Hold the sleep/wake and the home key for 10 seconds and your phone will turn off. It will reboot automatically.
- Delete all of your text messages.
- Check your voicemail. That ‘1’ could indicate a message has been left for you.
- Sync your iPhone with iTunes and that may clear the problem.
- Visit an Apple Store and ask one of the customer service staff to guide you.
iPhone Do Not Disturb Function
Did you know that the iPhone has a do not disturb function in the latest iOS?
Navigate to Settings>Notifications>Do Not Disturb
When this is enabled, calls and alerts that arrive whilst your phone is locked will be silenced and a moon shaped icon will appear in the status bar.
How Can I Turn My SMS Notifications Off?
Just about every phone on the market provides you with a notification when a new text message arrives; even when the phone is locked. The iPhone goes one step further and displays a preview of the message and who it is from.
For privacy reasons some people do not want details such as these being displayed on the lock screen. You may only want to see what you have One New Text Message received.
How can this be achieved?
Go into Settings > Messages > Show Preview (or Show Subject Field) and turn that OFF.
And then go to Settings > Notifications > Messages > Show Preview and then turn it off.
Note: If you want to hide the caller details, simply go to Settings > Notifications > Phone > View In Lock Screen > Off
- Why Does My WiFi Keep Turning Off?
Whilst WiFi serves a fantastic purpose and allows us to be more mobile and access the internet from almost anywhere, it is very irritating when our connection continues to drop out.
- None Of My iPhone or iPad Apps Are Working Or Will O...
If your iPhone, iPad or iPod apps stop working do you know how to fix it? There are simple reasons as to what causes it and a number of solutions to get them back up and running again.
- How Can I Lock The Volume On An iPad, iPhone or iPod...
Is there a way to lock the volume controls on your iPad, iPhone or iPod? Simple solutions to ensure your children never max out the volume levels again.