Why Does the Facebook App Keep Closing?
If you are one of the millions of Facebook users who have the Facebook app on your smartphone or iPad, you will unfortunately also be one of many who encounter the frustration of the app crashing and closing unexpectedly.
Sometimes it will just not open at all, whilst at other times you could be browsing the news feed or attempting a photo upload and it just shuts.
There are a number of easy to apply solutions which can help resolve the problem and in most cases the fix will be super fast and more importantly free.
Take a look at some of these quick, free and easy resolutions.
What to do if your Facebook App closes
- Quit App: Double click the home button and all ‘open’ or ‘active’ apps will display. Make sure you close the Facebook app there before doing any of the reset options.
- Hard Reset: Hold down the sleep/wake and home buttons simultaneously for about 5-10 seconds or until the Apple logo appears. It will shut down and restart automatically. Then try re-opening the app.
- Reinstall: Try deleting the Facebook app and reinstalling it from the app store. Hold your finger onto the Facebook app icon until it and all other apps jiggle and then select the cross (x) that appears to delete it. Then reload and restart and see if it works normally.
- Up To Date Version: Ensure you have the latest version of the app available. You can check the app store for any updates.
- Up To Date Software: Ensure you are using the latest version of the available software for the device that you are using (iPhone or iPad etc)
- Conflict: You may be experiencing a conflict with a newly installed app and your Facebook app. If you have recently installed something, try to remove it and then open Facebook.
- Resync: You can always resync your device with iTunes via your computer. That often alleviates a lot of problems.
- Memory: Sometimes if your device is very low on memory there is not enough capacity for the app to operate normally. Go to: Settings>General>Usage and see the available space. If it is low, try deleting any apps you no longer want, any photos no longer needed and any videos or music.
If you are able to access Facebook even for a short period of time before it crashes, try to open the app and then quickly select the menu icon in the top left and select your personal timeline.
Once it has fully loaded, go back to the News Feed and let it load and may then allow you to access it without issue.
Disconnect Facebook From Device Settings
Another option is to open the app and attempt to quickly log out before it crashes. Once logged out:
- Go into your device settings and access the settings for Facebook
- Select 'Delete Account' to log out of the Facebook connection – in other words de-link the iPhone or iPad from Facebook altogether.
- Then re-launch the app and sign in and it should launch and load without error.
- Then go back into settings and re-enter your Facebook username and password and reconnect (configure) the settings.
When all else fails and none of the above solutions have assisted, you can always restore from back up or reset your device to factory settings. It could be a system issue. At the end of the day we are working with technology so glitches can and do unfortunately happen.
Other Common Facebook Questions
- Why Is My Facebook Account Locked Or Disabled?
If you have found that your Facebook account was locked or disabled without warning do not worry. There are a number of common reasons why this can happen and in most cases simple ways to rectify it.
- What Does The Blue Tick On Facebook Pages Mean? Ver...
In an effort to crack down on fake identities, authentic Facebook profiles and pages are now being verified and will appear with a blue circle tick. Great news for brand promotion. See why.
- Why Won't Facebook Let Me Log In?
Millions of people log into Facebook everyday around the world. We chat, we conduct business and we share information. There are times when we cannot login. Here are common causes and easy solutions
- Why Does Facebook Keep Logging Me Out?
As frustrating as this is there are a number of possible reasons, and in almost all cases the issue can be resolved almost immediately. Here are the most common reasons for Facebook logging you out.
© 2013 AnswerQuestions
More by this Author
Have you ever had this happen? Your iPhone consistently displays one unread text message when you know for sure that there are none. This is very common and the reasons why may surprise you.
It is very common for an iPhone 3, 4 or 5 to display an error message 'No Sim Card Installed' or 'Invalid SIM'. In most cases the reasons are unknown but the solutions are easy, quick and free.
If your iPhone, iPad or iPod apps stop working do you know how to fix it? There are simple reasons as to what causes it and a number of solutions to get them back up and running again.