AMD Radeon R7 360 Graphics Card Review and Benchmarks
AMD Radeon R7 360 2GB
Hello everyone. Will here and today, I am going to review an older budget video card. I will be looking at the AMD R7 360 2GB GPU. This is quite a good entry level card, especially if you are into the eSports genre of gaming.
The AMD R7 360 is an entry level budget graphics card that was released in June 2015 for a price of around $110. At the time, it was one of the better, more discrete budget cards on the market. However, today, for $110, I do not feel the card would be a good buy. However, at around $80, it may very well be worth it.
At the core of the R7 360 GPU, you get Tobago architecture but underneath that is the Bonaire GPU used in the older R7 260 and R7 260X. The Bonaire core has 14 compute units with 896 stream processors but AMD has cut those down to 12 units and 768 stream processors in the R7 260; same for the R7 360.
Even though the R7 360 has the same core count, AMD gave the GPU a light boost on the clocks with tweaks across the board. The R7 360 has a revised 1,050MHz core clock which is 50MHz faster than the R7 260 and the 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM is clocked at 6,500MHz which runs 500MHz faster than the 260.
Now, let’s talk about the benchmarks. I tested this card in 2 setups, one in my i7-7700K test bench, the other in the computer build it was intended for, a Ryzen 3 1200. So, here are the specs for the test systems
1. i7-7700K clocked at 4.7GHz
MSI Z270 Tomahawk
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM clocked at 2933MHz (Dual Channel;
2. Ryzen 3 1200 clocked at 3.75GHZ
MSI B350 Bazooka
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT clocked at 2667MHz (Dual Channel; 2x4)
Games Tested and Results
Games Benchmarked (1080p, High Settings) - Ryzen 3 1200
1. Battlefield 4 (Min: 26, Avg: 31)
2. Batman: Arkham Origins (Min: 42, Avg: 61)
3. Bioshock Infinite (Min: 22, Avg: 39)
4. Crysis 3 (Min: 11, Avg: 24)
5. Metro: Last Light (Min: 14, Avg: 33)
6. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Min: 14, Avg: 28)
7. Rise of the Tomb Raider (Min: 24, Avg: 49)
8. Grand Theft Auto V (Min: 31, Avg: 55)
9. Roblox (Min: 58, Avg: 74)
10. Minecraft (Min: 55, Avg: 66)
Games Benchmarked (1080p, High Settings) – Intel Core i7-7700K
1. Battlefield 4 (Min: 25, Avg: 37)
2. Batman: Arkham Origins (Min: 38, Avg: 65)
3. Bioshock Infinite (Min: 16, Avg: 40)
4. Crysis 3 (Min: 7, Avg: 26)
5. Metro: Last Light (Min: 12, Avg: 36)
6. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Min: 13, Avg: 30)
7. Rise of the Tomb Raider (Min: 22, Avg: 49)
8. Grand Theft Auto V (Min: 30, Avg: 57)
9. Roblox (Min: 56, Avg: 75)
10. Minecraft (Min: 53, Avg: 68)
In testing, I had a peak temperature of 68C and peak power consumption of 83w at idle and 171w under load.
Conclusion and Thoughts
The R7 360 is an affordable card for entry level 1080p on eSports games as can bee seen in the results above with Roblox and Minecraft; both games are what the card was intended for in the budget build in which it was placed. The card, even with a budget processor could handle most games I threw at it, even Triple A games, though not all were what I would consider playable experiences. At any rate, this is a great card for entry level builds, budget builds, or budget upgrades to OEM systems, especially at around $70, though, I feel $80 is still a little expensive for the performance. However, I purchased this card from Newegg who had a deal for instant $10 rebate and a$20 mail-in-rebate. So, after all was said and done with rebates, taxes and shipping, I paid $40 for this card which was an amazing deal. If you can snag one of these up new for that, grab it but used, I’d say $30-$35 is a nice price. I can only recommend this card as a fall back or a fill in card for future upgrade at current prices.
Decent YouTube Review of this Card
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.