4 Best Lap Desks for Adults
Lap desks are a convenient and comfortable aid to performing work tasks away from a traditional office desk. They provide a solid and secure surface for the laptop to sit on, and often have features such as a mouse pad, or a phone slot. They can also protect your legs from any heat created by your laptop.
The best lap desks are:
- Comfortable to use. They are designed to be ergonomic and protect your legs from any heat created by the laptop.
- Convenient and efficient. If they are of an adjustable design, you need to be able to set them up and adjust them easily.
- Portable and easy to store when not in use.
- They need to have all the features that you need to perform your regular work tasks in the places where you want to work, e.g. the couch, armchair, or bed.
- Overall, they are well designed and provide excellent value for money.
The Top 4 Lap Desks For Adults
LapGear Home Office: Lightweight but Sturdy
- TaoTronics Laptop Desk for Bed: Adjustable and Convenient
- Honey-Can-Do TBL-03540 Portable: Chic, Simple, and Solid
- Sofia + Sam Oversized Memory Foam: Wide Workspace and Comfortable
I will explain my choices in more detail below.
1. LapGear Home Office: Lightweight but Sturdy
The will meet most people's requirements and offers excellent value for money in my opinion. I have been using this product for the past six months and find it a comfortable, efficient, and convenient aid to working on my laptop. When I don't want to sit at my home office desk, I use the LapGear to work from my favorite armchair. LapGear Home Office
Pros of the LapGear:
- It strikes the right balance between being light enough to feel comfortable, while also being sturdy enough to hold the laptop.
- It was a phone slot which holds my phone vertically or horizontally.
- The mouse mat works well.
- The dual-bolster cushioning makes it comfortable to use and protects me from laptop heat.
- The device ledge means that my laptop is secure and doesn't slide around when I'm using it.
- It's portable, with a carrying handle, as well as being compact enough to store easily when not in use.
- It's available in a variety of styles (I have the sliver carbon version).
Cons of the LapGear:
- The only issue I've had is that after over six months of use, the cushioning has lost a little of its form.
2. TaoTronics Laptop Desk for Bed: Adjustable and Convenient
I have a in my bedroom and use it when I want to work first thing in the morning or late at night. It's a very adaptable piece of design, comfortable to use, you can adjust things like the tilt angle and height to suit your needs. Although it's designed for bed use, it's also great if you want to recline on the couch, or just sit in a chair. TaoTronics Laptop Desk
Pros of the TaoTronics
- I'm someone who suffers from back and neck issues and this product relieves that problem when I'm on my laptop.
- When not in use, it can be folded up, making it very portable and easy to store.
- You can adjust the height and angle easily, so you can set it up for use in a bed, couch, or chair.
- The laptop fix clips keep the computer secure, even if tilted.
- The mouse stop keeps the mouse from slipping off.
- The overall quality of this product I would describe as very good.
Cons of the TaoTronics
- I've seen this product described as "wobbly". It doesn't have to be, in my experience, but you do need to ensure that you adjust the legs and turns at the same time and make sure they are right before locking, because it will let you to lock unevenly.
Honey-Can-Do TBL-03540 Portable: Chic and Solid
My daughter bought a lap desk for college, and I've spent some time playing around with it. Its main appeal is the chic, minimalist design. That makes it great for students, travelers, and people with mobility issues. It's solid but not heavy and measures 23.23 inches in length, 15.75 inches wide, and 2.52 inches in height. Honey-Can-Do TBL-03540 Portable
Pros of the Honey-Can-Do:
- It's easy to transport, there's a built in handle.
- There's a detachable pad for extra comfort.
- It has a modern, attractive appearance (my daughter loves it!).
- The design makes it sturdy and easy to keep clean.
- The MDF construction makes it solid, but it's lightweight enough to carry and maneuver. It's comfortable and protects your legs from laptop heat.
- Easy to store when not in use, you can slip it under the coffee table, if you wish.
Cons of the Honey-Can-Do:
- Neither my daughter or myself have encountered this problem personally, but I've read more than one review where people complain that their Honey-Can-Do gives off an off-putting chemical smell.
4. Sofia + Sam Oversized Memory Foam: Wide Workspace and Comfortable
I used a for many months, eventually giving it to my wife, when she was cleared to work from home by her employer. It's a great product to use when you want to use your laptop from the comfort of your couch, bed, or armchair, and feels comfortable even when you are working for long periods. One of my favorite features is that it provides a particularly wide surface, which can be used for writing, reading, or eating, Sofia + Sam lap desk
Pros of the Sofia + Sam:
- The wide work surfaces means that it works for larger laptops, including my wife's 17 inch Acer. That said, it worked well for my smaller, 13 inch machine too.
- There's a back slot that holds a phone.
- The wrist pad is comfortable, especially if you work for extended periods. It also prevents the mouse from sliding off.
- The vinyl covered wood is sturdy and easy to keep clean, but doesn't make the lap desk too heavy to be uncomfortable.
- There's a built-in handle for when you want to move or carry your Sofia + Sam someplace else.
- Overall, I would describe it as a well made product that offers good value for money.
Cons of the Sofia + Sam:
- The surface of this lap desk is smooth, depending upon the design of your laptop it may be too slippy. I've not had problems, as my laptop has rubber feet.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Paul Goodman