How to Fix and Continue Broken or Corrupted IDM Downloads
Ever Experienced this Problem?
What Is IDM?
Internet Download Manager (IDM) is a download accelerator and file organizer that manages the download of many types of files from the Internet.
Has IDM ever not been able to complete a download perfectly? Maybe it's stalled at 99% or a number very close to 100% and stops downloading altogether. Then, instead of the file you wanted, you get a totally corrupted download that you can't use.
IDM works by dividing the file into between two and ten parts in order to accelerate the download. At the end of the download, IDM combines all the file parts into one file. Sometimes, one of the file pieces was corrupted, in which case IDM could not merge the file and complete the download.
This can be especially frustrating when you're downloading large files with a slow connection. You wait for what seems like forever for your download, and then it gets stuck right when it was about to finish, and you can't start it back from the beginning.
Luckily, I have a solution to this problem that I worked out a couple of years ago that's still working well. I'll also include some other solutions to common problems.
A quick question about IDM
What was your most downloaded size of a file using IDM?
Download Stopped Downloading and Froze at 99%
How to Continue Downloading
You only need this two things to implement my solution:
- Your system needs to have the capability to resume download, which means that if you fully stop downloading, the server should be able to support it so it can start it back at the point where it was stopped.
- You need a type of software called a file splitter and joiner. Here are two types of free software to choose from: Fastest File Splitter and Joiner 3.3 and HJ Split.
IDM Temporary Location
- Go to the IDM temporary file location, where IDM stores the file parts before completing the download
- Look for and select "Options" in the IDM Toolbar.
- Then, find and select the option to "save to" and search for "temporary directory" (see image above).
- Copy the address. For example: C:\Users\rixpro\AppData\Roaming\IDM\DwnlData\
Side note: You should see a lot of files in IDM temporary file directory, which have not completed the download through IDM.
- Find the folder of the corrupted file (the one that failed to download completely). For example, if you're downloading a file named Ironman3_fullHD, there should be a folder with a name very similar to the one that you're downloading.
- You can find the folder by searching for the file name and then opening it. Sorting the files by file size or date may also help you to find the folder.
- Once you open the file, you'll see it's been divided into different parts, usually between two and fifteen.
- Not all of these files are corrupted, and you will be able to combine some of them.
- Minimize this window and start your download again.
- You should be able to see the IDM download progress bar indicate the combination of parts that are not corrupted. However, you still won't be able to complete this because there are still corrupted file parts left.
- Close the download and maximize the IDM temporary directory.
- Now you should see that some parts are now combined and there are only two or three files. These are the ones that can't combine at the end because the file is corrupted.
Side note: The log file is not important since it is not a part of the download. You can delete it.
- Now you have to use the file splitter and joiner to remove the corrupted end from the file parts. I'm not going to explain much about how to use the file splitter and joiner because the software is usually very easy to use. You can always Google it!
- Open one file part with the software and split it so that one part contains 250 - 500 KB. For example, if your chosen file part is 10 MB, use the file splitter and joiner to split it into 20 parts so that each one will be 500 KB. Don't forget to delete the original file part. Now you have 20 parts with name extensions like filename.001, filename .002, filename.003 [...] filename.020
- When you reach this point, delete the filename.020 (which is the corrupted end), and join the other 19 parts back together again using the software. You can also use the software settings so that the other file parts are deleted after you combine them again.
- Do this for the remaining parts, also removing their corrupted end.
- Now, go back to IDM and resume downloading and your download will finish perfectly.
I hope this helps! If you have any questions, just leave a comment :)
Other IDM FAQ's and Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting IDM Problems
- If you're having trouble with IDM, make sure you have the latest version of the software in which some bugs may have been fixed.
- Also, some applications like Internet security, antivirus, and firewall software can interfere with IDM. Follow the instructions in the section below to see if this could be the problem or if your software is on a list of applications with known issues.
- Different internet accelerators or video accelerators may also interfere in a download process or cause problems.
- Download problems are also common with proxy servers either set in IDM or transparent proxy servers that might be used by your Internet provider. In this case, try to change the proxy server, try another Internet provider, or use a VPN.
- Make sure you're using a genuine version of IDM and that it is registered with a valid serial number.
FAQ: Why Does IDM Fail to Resume Download?
From the FAQ at IDM's website:
A failure to resume download can occur because of conflicts between IDM and other applications, such as the firewall, antivirus, or Internet security applications which control traffic and can change or cache all the files and file parts that are written on disk.
These kinds of problems are confirmed with Bit Defender 2012, see forum here. In the latest version of Bit Defender, however, this problem is solved so a simple software update could solve your problem if you are a Bit Defender user.
In addition, some firewalls and antivirus softwares are not ready for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 and 8.1, and work incorrectly as a result.
Please try to TEMPORARILY completely uninstall your firewall, antivirus, or Internet security application. Simply disabling it is not enough because some of these kinds of applications keep blocking access even if you turn them off. If your problem is solved after doing this, then that would indicate the application is the source of the problem.
At the bottom of this web page is a list of firewalls, Internet security, and antivirus applications with known problems. If your security application is present in the list on the page, you can find out how to configure it to work with IDM. If that still doesn't work, try contacting the application's developers to see if they have a solution. You could also try using a different security, firewall, or antivirus application.
If disabling your security application does not help, it's possible you have an application that functions like a firewall, antivirus, or security application that you do not know about. It may have something like "protector," "defender," "spyware remover," or "cleaner," in its name. If you find such application on your computer, try to uninstall it as well and see if your problem persists.
You could also have the same problem with resuming downloads if you use a proxy in the "Options->Proxy / Socks" IDM dialog. Try disabling it or using another proxy. Your Internet provider might also use an external proxy that could cause problems.
Do You Need IDM?
IDM is no longer a free software. There is a one-month trial period, after which you will need to pay to continue using it.
Many users have complained that the software is difficult to uninstall after the trial if they choose to not pay for it, and that their machines are slower afterwards as well.
There are many downloaders that are completely free and provide better service (according to reviewers on download.com). If you continue having problems with IDM, you may want to consider finding a different download accelerator altogether.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.