Neha is a software professional with 13+ years of experience in the IT Industry. She enjoys writing technical tutorials.
7 Steps to Create Collapsible Headings and Menus
You can easily make desired portions of your document collapsible by using Word's headings. Once you apply the heading style to a title/subtitle, a small triangle appears on the left-hand side of the heading, which can be used to toggle the collapsibility of the text. Read on to learn how to do it.
Here's how you can create a three-level collapsible menu structure in a Microsoft Word document.
1. Sample Content
Let us assume this is our sample content:
- One main title
- Two subtitles
- Some text under each of the subtitles
2. Use Heading Styles
Use the Heading styles 1, 2, and 3 under the Home tab to create collapsible menus as desired.
3. Use Heading 1 Style for the Main Title
Select the main title and apply the Heading 1 style.
Once this style is applied, a small triangle appears on the left-hand side of the title which can be used to collapse the text under this title.
4. Subtitles 1 and 2: Apply Style Heading 2
Apply the Heading 2 style to subtitles 1 and 2.
A small triangle each will appear on the left-hand side of both the subtitles. As a result, the individual content text under each of these subtitles can be collapsed using the respective triangles.
5. Collapsible Menus Are Created
The entire content marked with the big grey square will collapse under the main title.
The small squares will collapse under subtitle 1 and 2 respectively when the corresponding triangles are used to collapse the menu.
6. Create Another Level of Collapsible Menu Using Heading 3
In a similar fashion, you can create another level of collapsible menus by applying the Heading 3 style to the sub-menu.
As a result, Sample content 3 will collapse under the sub-menu. And everything under Subtitle 2 including the submenu will collapse under subtitle 2.
7. Three-Level Collapsible Menu Structure Is Ready!
The three-level collapsible menu structure is now ready to be used in your Microsoft Word Document.
Pro Tips: Expand All / Collapse All and Removal
- Expand or Collapse All. You can expand or collapse all headings in the document by right-clicking any heading and selecting Expand All Headings or Collapse All Headings as necessary. This trick can be used to ease up browsing or reading lengthy, complicated word documents. You can click on the triangle and expand just the part that you would like to focus on. It makes it more readable and comprehensible with all the text out of the way. You may click the triangle to expand or collapse any section while reading as needed.
- Remove Collapsible Menu. To remove the collapsible menu for a particular heading, select the heading and change the style to a normal font style instead of heading 1, 2, or 3. This will remove the collapsible menu for that heading.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Petite Hubpages Fanatic