MSI RX 570 Armor OC 8GB Graphics Card
Hello everyone. Will here and today, I’m bringing you a review of the Armor OC 8GB graphics card from MSI. This card is a bit older now, launching a year ago in April. This card, along with many AMD cards, have become scarce over the past year due to cryptocurrency mining and a lack of production from AMD for whatever reason. This card, along with the RX 580, were the flagships of AMD’s line of graphics cards until just recently when AMD released the RX Vega series of cards. The RX 570 and RX 580 were unable to compete with nVidia’s top offerings of the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080, but they could possibly match up well with the GTX 1060 cards. How well did they match up? Well, let us take a look and see.
MSI Armor OC RX 570 8GB on Amazon
MSI RX 570 Armor OC 8GB Gaming Graphics Card
MSI Armor OC RX 570 8GB Graphics Card Specifications
First, as with all of my articles, the obligatory specifications paragraph. If you do not care too much about the specs on the card, feel free to move onto the next section of this article. At any rate, if you are still reading this section, the RX 570 was launched along with the RX 580 on April 18, 2017, and had a release price of just $169 for the 4GB version. An 8GB version was not available at launch, but shortly after, you could look at purchasing one for roughly $200.
Now, as far as the important specifications, what are you looking at with the MSI RX 570 Armor OC 8GB graphics card? Well, to start, the Armor OC comes with 8GB of GDDR5 memory clocked at 7000MHz and a core clock of 1268MHz. There are 2048 stream processors, 128 texture units, a 256-bit memory bandwidth, and 32 compute units allowing a maximum performance of up to 5.1 TFLOPs. The card has 3 DisplayPorts, an HDMI port, and a DVI-D port, requires a single 8-pin power connection, and MSI recommends at least a 450-watt power supply. The card supports Crossfire and is VR ready. The Armor OC comes in a classy black and white color scheme so it will fit in pretty much any system color scheme and includes the Zero Frozr cooling system to keep the card cool and quiet under full load. With this being said, how did the card perform?
Test System and Testing Methods
The system that I tested this card on was my Intel Core i7-7700K system clocked at 4.9GHz with 16GB of DDR4 RAM clocked at 2933MHz. The system is powered by an EVGA 550 watt modular power supply. I tested only at 1080p resolution with the graphics card at stock settings, and I tested a total of 10 games. Each game was tested on the maximum allowable settings for a total of 3 runs of each game, using in-game benchmarking utilities as available. Between each run, I allowed a 10-minute cooldown of the system to ensure same starting temperatures and recovery of the GPU. So, without further delay, here are the results.
The Heap of Computer Components (The RX 570 box is in there somewhere)
Games Tested on the MSI Armor OC RX 570
- First up was Grand Theft Auto V and here, the card was able to maintain 60 FPS at all times. The minimum frames were 78, and the average was 92 FPS. Not a bad showing on the first game testing.
- Now, onto the next game, which was Witcher III: Wild Hunt with nVidia Hairworks enabled. The RX 570 held its own but did fall short of the elusive 60 FPS though; it did maintain the console average of 30 FPS. Minimum FPS was 41 while the average was 43 FPS.
- Rise of the Tomb Raider was next and came in at a minimum of 42 FPS and 59 FPS average, just missing the 60 FPS magical number.
- Far Cry Primal was next. The RX 570 fared well, still falling short of the 60 FPS average with a minimum of 43 FPS and an average of 57 FPS. T
- Tom Clancy’s The Division was tested next, and the RX 570 reached a minimum of 44 FPS and maintained and an average of 60 FPS, keeping us at that magical 60 FPS average.
- Next, I tested Overwatch. The RX 570 managed a minimum of 69 FPS and an average of 101 FPS; not bad.
- Doom, a title that historically favors the AMD cards, shows it’s bias here as well. The RX 570 achieved a minimum of 144 FPS and an average of 163 FPS.
- Battlefield 1 was next, and the RX 570 did not disappoint here either as it achieved a minimum of 71 FPS and an average of 83 FPS.
- Destiny 2, which is the game I play most consistently, was up next. The RX 570 does well here getting 67 FPS minimum and an average of 88 FPS.
- Finally, a game that I got coaxed into playing: Fortnite. The RX 570 handled Fortnite well getting a minimum of 65 FPS and an average of 73 FPS.
Game Testing Data
Grand Theft Auto V
Witcher III: Wild Hunt
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Far Cry Primal
Tom Clancy's The Division
Conclusion and Final Thoughts
After thorough testing of this GPU on 10 games, I feel I can make a reasonable recommendation. At MRSP of roughly $200, you would be paying roughly 25 cents per frame or an average of 4 frames per second, per dollar. However, current card prices render that average worthless, as prices are around $400. This MSI RX 570 Armor OC card cost me $391 which gives you around 47 cents per frame or an average of 2 frames per second, per dollar. At the current prices, I don’t feel the MSI RX 570 Armor OC 8GB card is worth what you pay for it. However, if those prices drop to around $240, it would be an okay deal. At the MSRP, you would be getting a great deal.
So, my recommendation, wait a few more weeks to purchase any graphics card because it honestly looks like the crypto-market is crashing and the used market will be flooded, and maybe, just maybe, the new card prices will drop as well. The card is still good for Ethereum mining if you are into that as it gets 30MH/s with the modded BIOS. I hope this article gives you some insight and helps you decide on buying this card or not. Any comments are welcomed below. A follow is greatly appreciated as well, and some lucky person will win a Ryzen 3 2200G processor once we get to 200 Followers on Hubpages or 150 on Twitter or 100 subscribers on my YouTube channel. So, stop by those places and drop a follow/subscribe and wait for your chance to win. Thanks as always for stopping by and checking out the articles and I hope to see you next time.
The RX 570 Armor OC in my small Mining Rig
MSI Armor OC RX 570 8GB Graphics Card
Would you purchase the MSI Armor OC RX 570 8GB graphics card?
My Favorite Computer Component Reviewer... Steve @ Hardware Unboxed
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.