Solution to Slow Mp4 Playback on VLC and Other Players
If you are facing problems like tearing, stuttering, slow or choppy playback in playing high definition movies and videos, particularly the mp4 and mkv format, then this article can provide a solution to it.
The cause of this slow or choppy playback is usually slow processor speed and less memory but you can still solve it. I personally did experience the same problem when I tried to play 720p mp4 video files on my computer and found a working solution to this problem after 2 hours of searching, which I would like to share with you.
This slow or choppy playback can be solved by changing the render type your player. Instructions for which are given below.
1. Get the Correct Media Player
- If you are using VLC player to play your videos then stop using it because it takes a lot of memory resources to run. It is surely unable to play most HD mp4 videos smoothly on slow computers (those with 1Ghz processor or below).
- VLC can play almost all media formats but it does not mean that its codecs are equally efficient at playing all of them.
- Instead of VLC use Media Player Classic and the K-lite codec pack. MPC can also play every video format available and is better then VLC at playing Mp4 videos. You can easily download K-lite codec pack free from the internet.
- When you download the K-lite codec pack MPC will be included within it, do not download MPC separately as it won't include certain codecs the K-lite codec pack has.
- If using MPC does not solve the problem proceed to step 2 to change the 'render type' of your player.
2. Change Render type
- Open Media Player Classic.
- Go to view and then select options from the drop down menu.
- Under the playback heading on the left hand side of the options dialogue box, click output.
- A list of render types will be displayed next to it. Select Overlay Mixer from it. Overlay Mixer is the fastest render type as it plays videos without color conversion to RGB and thus consumes the least amount of processor resources. This will greatly improve playback performance. A drawback however is that subtitles do not work with overlay mixer.
- Refer to the image below for help:
3. Other Options
If playback is still not smooth then you can try using Km player to play mp4 videos, it is even lighter then MPC and can be downloaded free from the internet. You need to play your video in default aspect ratio and in normal size and in the render type 'Overlay Mixer' otherwise it may cause further problems.
Even if this does not work the last option is to finally spend some bucks and upgrade your hardware.
Hope this solved your problem.
Did it Work for you ?
© 2012 StormsHalted