Neha is a software professional with 13+ years of experience in the IT Industry. She enjoys writing technical tutorials.
An existing file can be embedded into an Excel sheet as an object. You can also create a new file and embed it into your sheet.
Here's a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this.
1. Open the worksheet where you want to embed a file as an object.
2. Click on the cell in which you want to embed a file and go to the Insert menu. Click on Object. A new window will open up which has two ways in which files can be embedded.
- Create New: Create a new file and embed it in the worksheet.
- Create from File: Embed an existing file in the worksheet.
Create New Option
a. To create a new file and embed it, choose the Create New option. You can choose from the various types of files that can be created.
b. For example, let us create a WordPad document and embed it. Choose WordPad from the options and click okay.
c. You can choose the Display as Icon option. The embedded file will be displayed as an icon in your worksheet.
d. When you click OK, an empty WordPad file will open up.
e. You can type text in this file and close it.
f. When you close the file, you can see it as an icon in the worksheet.
g. If you double-click the icon, the WordPad file will open in editing mode.
Create From File Option
a. To embed an existing file as an object, click on the cell in which it is to be embedded and go to the Insert menu. Click on Object and select the Create from File option in the window.
b. Click on Browse and select the path where the file is located. Locate the file, select it, and click ok to add it.
c. The path of the file will be added in the text box. You can check the Link to File and Display as Icon options. Then click OK.
- Link to File–Inserts the contents of the file into your document so that you can edit it later using the program which created the source file.
- Display as Icon–Inserts an icon that represents the contents of the file into your document.
d. The added file will be displayed as an icon on your sheet.
e. Similarly, you can add more files by following the same steps.
f. You can also use the Change Icon feature to change the icon that represents the embedded file. You can have an icon of your choice by selecting from a list of available options.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2013 Petite Hubpages Fanatic
sundari on March 15, 2018:
please confirm.. i need to forward workbook to others. the linked objects are open in others who are copied the same work book.