Excel Tutorial-How to Combine Multiple Columns Into a Single Column
Combining 2 or more column values in an Excel worksheet can be easily done using a simple mathematical formula. The process of combining is also known as concatenation.
Formula: Concatenate(Cell1, Cell2,….)
1. Assume these are the values in the two columns that you want to combine into one.
2. Corresponding to the first row of values, click on the cell where you want the concatenated value to appear. Start typing the formula with =CON, a list of formulae will appear. Select the Concatenate function by double clicking on it.
3. Select the first cell to be concatenated by clicking on it. The cell number will automatically appear in the formula.
4. Type in a comma and click on the second cell to be concatenated. The cell number of the second cell will also automatically appear in the formula. You can continue this process of adding cells to be combined by typing comma & cell number for all columns. Once you are done adding the cell numbers you can close the formula using a closing brace.
5. In this case, we just have two columns to be combined. Hence, we can close the formula using a closing brace and hitting Enter. The final formula will look like this: =Concatenate(A2,B2).
6. Once you hit enter, the concatenated value will appear in the cell where you have typed the formula.
7. If you want to copy the formula, select the cell where the formula was written and hit Ctrl+C to copy the formula.
8. Select the cells where the formula is going to be pasted.
9. Hit Ctrl+V to paste the formula in the selected cells. The result will be a column with the merged values from the two columns.
© 2012 Petite Hubpages Fanatic