Amelia has over 25 yrs of experience in the IT, Training and Education, and eLearning industry.
Have You Checked Out the Templates in MS Office Lately?
Microsoft Word can be used for practically any type of document that you can think of, more than just a simple one-page letter…you can create something more complex, like a company newsletter – chock full of graphics, colors, fancy text, and hyperlinks. Microsoft Word is packed with awesome templates, from Awards, Business Forms, Memos, Newsletters, and Resumes.
Remember that you don’t have to start from scratch. Microsoft Word makes it easy for you by providing a variety of pre-formatted templates.
How to Access Templates in Microsoft Office
To access templates in Microsoft Word:
From Microsoft Word or any Microsoft Office application, click File, New.
From the New window, you can:
- Search for a specific type of template by entering search criteria in the search box. For example, type "resume" to search for resume templates.
- Select a template from the Featured category.
- Click Personal to select a template you have saved in your Personal template category. Note: To save any document you have created as a template, click File, Save As, then select Browse, name your file, then change "Save as type" to "Word Template (*.dotx), and Save. Your saved template document will then be available in the Personal category.
- Once you see a template, you want to use, single click on the template thumbnail to view a larger thumbnail and more details about the template.
- To proceed to use the template, click Create.
Once you see a template you want to use, you can also double-click on the template thumbnail to open it in your document window and begin customizing it right away!
After you finish editing the template, click File, Save As and save your document. The original "master" template will always be available in its original form in the File, New templates screen.
Templates save you time and offer a wide range of pre-formatted documents including different types of letters, charts, awards, flyers, financial documents, presentation layouts, and much, much more.
Templates vary depending on the application. Below are just some of the available templates in Microsoft Word 2016. Look at the images below for additional template examples in Microsoft Word 365. Templates are updated by Microsoft, so templates may vary depending on your specific version of Office.
Microsoft Word 2016 Template Samples
Microsoft Word 2016 Templates
Here is an example of templates in Microsoft Word 365 after selecting the Flyers category.
Microsoft Office, including Word, PowerPoint Excel has such a large amount of templates in a wide array of categories, that's it's just not possible to check them all out (at least not at one sitting). However, it's always a good idea to do a quick review of some of the templates available, in the area that suits your needs.
Here are a few Microsoft Office templates which I've found very easy to use and customize:
- Award template in Word - for creating certificates for employees who attended computer classes. Also, you can create templates for kids for sports or other achievement awards.
- Fax template in Word - after customizing, I saved my fax cover sheet and then it's ready to re-use each time for faxing.
- Invoice template in Excel - very easy to customize then save as your own.
Through the use of templates, you can create simple and complex documents easily, using a pre-formatted document, including invoices, agendas, inventories, award certificates, diagrams, and more!
What Can You Create in Microsoft Word?
The types of documents you can create in Microsoft Word are endless! More templates are always being added, and if you can't find what you need within Microsoft Word, you can search online for even more templates.
Need more help with Templates? Take a look at the video below which explains what you can do with Microsoft Word and how to use templates.
Microsoft Word Templates How-To Video
Do You Use Templates?
What do you use templates for and do you find them helpful?
What is your favorite template that you can recommend?
Microsoft Word Templates Poll
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2010 Amelia Griggs