I enjoy sharing troubleshooting tips and advice to help solve various technical issues.
Kodi is a digital player that streams Movies, TV shows, IPTV on Windows, Linux, Fire Stick, Raspberry pi, Android, and Apple TV. In order to access the latest features, fixes, and optimizations, though, you must keep it updated to the most recent version.
So here is the step-by-step procedure on how to update Kodi on each platform.
Amazon's Fire Stick is one of the most popular streaming devices. It connects directly to your TV and allows you to stream online content. Here's how to update your Kodi player within the Fire Stick:
- Launch the Fire Stick main menu and go to Settings.
- Click on Applications and then on "manage installed applications" and select "open Kodi."
- Click on Add-ons.
- Select package installer (located at the top).
- Select "install from repository," then select ''Kodi add-on repository.''
- Go to Program Add-ons and find or select "Kodi Android installer" or the file name of the latest installer package and install it.
- After installing, open the Android installer and click on the releases.
- Select Arm Kodi release, then choose ''Kodi-18.1-Krypton-armeabi-v7a.apk'' or the latest one.
- Download will start with Kodi version 18.1 or a newer version if available.
- After completing download, a box will appear asking you to install; click install. That’s it.
Now you have the latest version of Kodi installed on your Fire Stick. There is another way to install the latest version of Kodi via a suitable file manager (ES file explorer).
Fire Stick Via File Manager
Note: You can use any file manager. I have used ES file manager here.
- Open the Fire Stick main menu and search ES file explorer, then open it.
- Click on Tools and then select "download manager."
- Click on ''+new''.
- Type ''http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/kodi-18.1-Leia-armeabi-v7a.apk'' or ''http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm64-v8a/kodi-18.1-Leia-arm64-v8a.apk'' in the path and press ok.
- After downloading, click "open file'' to install on Fire Stick.
- Now go back to the home screen and launch updated Kodi.
On Android Phones Via Google Play Store
- Open Google play store and type Kodi.
- Now, install it or update to the latest version if already installed.
On Android Phones Via Website
- Open Kodi website ''kodi.tv/download.''
- Head over to ''Android.''
- Select ''ARMV7A (32BIT)'' or ''ARMV8A (64BIT),'' depending on your supported platform.
- Now click on any of them and download will start.
- After completing download, click install to install and launch it.
On Android Box
The process of updating Kodi on Android box is same as Android devices.
- Open browser on Android box and type the web address ''kodi.tv/download.''
- Click on ''Android.''
- Now click on ''ARMV7A (32BIT)'' or ''ARMV8A (64BIT),'' depending on Android box version. It starts downloading after clicking on it.
- Now, go to Downloaded Applications folder and find the downloaded file and open and install it. It will ask for update so click on update.
- Open Kodi and go to ''Add-ons.''
- Click Package Installer (box type icon top left side).
- Select ''install from repository.''
- Now, find and select ''Kodi add-ons repository.''
- Go to Program Add-ons and then select Windows Installer and hit install button.
- Go to Main Screen and then select ''add-ons > program add-ons > Kodi Installer.''
- Now, click on the releases and select 32bit or 64bit, depending on your operating system.
- Select latest version and install it.
Note: You can also download latest Kodi version of windows from kodi.tv/download and install it.
On Windows Via Windows Store
- Open Windows store, find Kodi and install it.
- Here you will update Kodi app to latest version automatically.
On Windows Via Kodi Website
In this solution, you can download Kodi directly from the official website and install it to your PC.
- Go to Kodi website ''kodi.tv/download.''
- Select Windows.
- Now, select installer 64bit or 32bit, depending on your OS.
- After downloading, install it.
In this solution, the Kodi version will be automatically installed after installing from the website.
- Open Internet browser and go to ''kodi.tv/download.''
- Now click on the MacOS and click on installer 64bit.
- After downloading, install it.
Before updating Kodi, you will need to download a File Manager. We will use ES file manager here.
- Go to Google play store, find ES file explorer and install it.
- Now go to the browser and type ''kodi.tv/download.''
- Go to Android and select ''ARMV7A (32BIT)'' or ''ARMV8A (64BIT),'' depending on OS and click on it to download and install.
So above are the steps to update Kodi on the various operating systems. Updating Kodi is necessary to get the latest updates of fixes and patches. Advanced users can directly download updates from the website and install them on each operating system. Before trying to update, uninstall the old version to avoid errors during installation.
© 2021 Dhruv Joshi