Hello! I'm Elena, a gardener, designer and DIY enthusiast with a love of simple and green life.
Reasons to Go Green in Your Home
These days, going green is more than just a trend, it's also a popular lifestyle embraced by increasing numbers of homeowners. If you’re still an outsider to this trend, hopefully these benefits of going green will motivate you to follow suit:
- Save money by reducing your energy bills.
- Reduce your carbon footprint.
- Be self-sufficient and less reliable on fuels.
- Increase the value of your home.
- Reduce climate change to some extent.
- Spend less money maintaining your home.
- Set an good example for the next generation.
Of course, this is not an exhaustive list, and living a green lifestyle is definitely important for you, your children, and our planet.
But don’t get wrong: going green does NOT have to be expensive. And here I’m going to recommend you some budget-friendly green home products so that you can really switch to a green lifestyle in action without breaking the bank.
4 Eco-Friendly Smart Home Products Under $200
As a lover and advocate of green life, I have tried many advertised green home products. The following are ones I picked up based on my experience to help the homeowners who want to go green in their home on a budget.
1. Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller
If you own a garden like me and also want to save your water energy bills, the Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller is the suitable eco-friendly product that can cater to your diverse needs. You no long need to press the button of your sprinkler controller physically. Simply control the sprinklers via a tap on your phone app or your voice command from anywhere.
I especially love the watering schedule function for my yard, which can save much of the water usage. Every time the schedule runs or if watering is skipped due to rains, I will be notified in time so that I’m always in the know about what is happening.
- Easily set a watering schedule based on your requirements.
- Save your water bills and adapt to different weather conditions.
- Compatible with other smart home devices like Google Home and Alexa.
- You can’t run multiple zones at a time.
- The app is not so intuitive.
2. Reolink Argus 2 Solar Security Camera
Your home security should always come as a top priority. And the last thing you want, without doubt, is your expensive security camera sucking down heaps of electricity during a power outrage. That’s the appeal of the Reolink Argus 2, which is powered by a rechargeable battery and solar panel to save your money and reduce your carbon footprint.
The reason I chose it in the first place is that it uses few wires—you only need to run wires to connect the camera to the solar panel. So I don't need to worry that the ugly cables might break the original decor of my house. And I can also move the camera from room to room as my needs change, like in my garden shed and my baby's bedroom.
- Easy to install and flexible in placement.
- No need to charge the battery frequently with the solar panel.
- Excellent image quality.
- SD card is not included in the package.
- Not compatible with other smart home devices (said to support Google Home soon).
3. WaterHawk Smart Showerhead
Showers rank as the third-largest water use after toilets and washers for an average household. Do you have no idea about how much water you use in a shower? The WaterHawk Smart Showerhead is here to help you conserve water and energy by showing water temperature and real-time usage per gallon.
I originally used this green home product to help my kids change their habits of long showers and it really works! They especially love to compete on who can take the shortest shower with the “supervision” of this smart home gadget.
- Displays real-time water usage and temperature.
- Different color lights are applied to indicate different temperature.
- Powered by a “hydro-generator” (no batteries required).
- No different spray settings.
- Lack of some advanced features (mainly designed to keep an eye on the water usage).
4. Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
Are you always surprised at your monthly energy bills and wonder which home appliances cost you most? With the Belkin WeMo Insight Switch, you can easily figure out how much energy your devices are consuming.
Personally speaking, as I often forget to turn off my space heater and lights when I leave, the ability to turn on/off the plugged-in devices from anywhere on my phone app is most helpful for me. It's a huge save on my energy costs as well.
- Keep tabs on energy usage via a tap.
- Set schedules for your home appliances based on your needs.
- Works well with IFTTT.
- There is much that remains to be desired for the app.
- Firmware updates sometimes can mess up the connection.