The Best Camera for Adventure Travel
Olympus TG-870 Tough Waterproof Digital Camera
Do enjoy being outdoors? Are most of your hobbies on the active side of the spectrum? If you're like me, you'll choose the option that has more activity in it. Hiking, camping, snorkeling, surfing, running---if it's an outside activity, you're there.
This has been the way I've been enjoying my free time for the past few years. It's even how I structure my vacations. And I finally got fed up with not having a camera that could keep up with my activities. I used to get nervous hiking with my nice camera. What if I dropped it in a puddle or the lens got scraped against a rock accidentally? I needed a camera that could endure a slight beating. So before I went on my honeymoon, I got the Olympus TG-870 Tough Waterproof Camera. In this post, I'm going to give you some key features of it, and why I love it for adventure travel.
First of all, let's take a look at some of the features of this camera:
- Waterproof up to 50 feet
- Shockproof up to 7 feet
- Crushproof up to 220 pounds
- Freezeproof up to 14 degrees F
- 21mm ultra-wide angle lens
- 5x optical zoom
- Built in Wi-Fi and GPS
- Super macro mode
- 13 art filters and live composite
These are the main features you'll find listed on any description of the camera. There's also a few more worth mentioning as well:
- 180 degree flip LCD monitor
- front button for capturing selfies
- sportcam video mode
- rugged accessories
Olympus TG-870 Tough
Why I Love this Camera
I've listed a good many of the features above, but now I want to tell you why I love this camera. Here are some of my favorite features:
- Waterproof. I love that this camera is waterproof. My husband and I do a lot of water activities, so it's great that we can have a camera that can go with us. We went snorkeling in Alaska and were able to capture so many great underwater shots. (Side note: this camera works in fresh and salt water, but make sure to wash it off after use.)
- Shockproof. So far, I haven't dropped my camera yet, but I'm always worried I will. I'm very clumsy, especially when hiking, and I'm just waiting for the day when I drop it and it hits the only rock in sight. I'm glad it has this feature.
- 180 degree flip LCD screen. Although we're not obsessed about taking selfies, this feature is nice, especially when there's no one else to take your picture. Simply flip the screen and you can see what you're shooting no problem. In addition, the front capture button makes it even easier!
- 13 art filters. This camera has some really great modes and filters to work with. You've got special settings for low light, fireworks, sports, underwater, etc. But you've also got art filters that can add a lot of personality to your photos. Some of them are pop art, sepia, grainy film, and watercolor.
Where to Get the Olympus TG-870
You can get this camera at several different places. We bought ours at Best Buy during a sale.
Best Buy's current price is $279.99 (as of Oct. 2016)
Amazon.com also has this camera for $229 (I've included a link for it if you want to take a look at it.)
B&H Photo also has it on their site for $279.00
There are several color options for this camera: green, white, and black. I like the green because it looks the most rugged to me.
Olympus TG-870 Tough Waterpoof Digital Camera on Amazon
This camera also has a lot of accessories that you can add to it. If you're considering getting this camera for a certain use, you might want to look into some of these options. Here's a few:
- Float strap for water activities
- SD card
- Carry case
What's your Favorite Outdoor Activity
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.