Cardia is a Barbadian University student who loves writing and helping others. Her topics include college experiences, DIY, and hair care.
The iPod Touch is one of the most advanced and popular products from the Apple company. Due to its many features and capabilities, it has changed from being a simple music player to an important everyday tool. As an iPod Touch owner myself (I have the 5th Generation), I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. I've listed some reasons for buying an iPod Touch, and hopefully it will aid you in making your decision.
1. It's a great alternative to buying an iPhone (and cheaper)!
- The iPod Touch, especially the recent models (anything from 5th Generation onward), can do everything that the iPhone can do except make phone calls (however, there are some apps that can get around that, such as Skype or Viber).
- In some regions of the world, iPhones are not available for sale or operation. Therefore, iPod Touch is a great alternative for the residents of these areas who still want the iPhone experience.
- It can receive and send emails, support social networking applications such as Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr, access the internet via the Safari browser, and keep vital information such as contacts, calendars, and social media accounts.
- One of the great things about the iPod Touch is that unlike the iPhone, there are no monthly fees. Plus, you don’t have to sign up for payment plans or lengthy contracts.
2. It’s a great form of portable entertainment.
Besides the obvious function as a music player, Apple boasts the iPod Touch as having ‘fun written all over it,’ and it certainly does. The App Store has over 500,000 applications, most of which are supported on the Touch.
- Use it to read. You can read and purchase books (including classics and the hottest bestsellers) on the iPod using the Apple based iBooks application, the Amazon Kindle App, or the Barnes and Noble Nook. You can also read articles from some of the world’s best known newspapers and magazines.
- Use it to play games. The App Store has games of all types, from classic games such as Tetris and Angry Birds, to puzzles and simulations. Most of these are free, or cost just a few bucks.
- Use it to watch videos. Plus, the iPod supports video formats, so it’s possible for you to watch episodes of your favourite television shows, movies and music videos, most of which can be purchased from the iTunes store, or can be converted and uploaded via iTunes from your personal computer files. It also has a built in YouTube Mobile application, so that you can watch and stream videos over a Wifi connection.
3. The versatility!
In addition to entertainment and gaming, the iPod Touch can be used for other tasks.
The newer models of the iPod have cameras both in the front and back, and therefore support FaceTime, the video chat program exclusively for Apple products such as the iPhone, iPod and iPad. You can also stay connected by using Skype, Viber, Oovoo, all which have modified versions created just for the iPod and iPhone.
The iPod Touch requires a Wifi connection in order to use the internet (some applications may also need this for functionality). There is a built-in Internet browser named Safari which is extremely useful for when you need to look something up on the web, or if you do not have access to a computer at the time. The device has a built-in Mail application, which allows the user to send and receive emails.
There are mobile versions of all the popular social networks (including Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and MySpace) so you can stay connected with your friends, make status and post updates, and upload photos.
The newer versions of the iPod have cameras, which can both take still photos and record videos in HD. This is great for unexpected moments, or when you just want to video-record or snap a picture of something special.
You can also upload pictures to your iPod so that you can view them on the go. This is useful for when you want to show your friends pictures from your recent vacation, or one of your current projects. You can even create a little slideshow that can be accompanied by music of your choice, so you can show your pictures off in style.
Overall, the iPod Touch is a great device with so many possibilities. Not only can it serve as an entertainment gadget, but it can support many useful functions.
When buying the iPod Touch, be sure to check out online bundle deals on sites such as Walmart or Amazon. These are awesome as you get the device, along with some essential accessories, like cases and screen protectors, all at a great price.
Answer this poll!
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Cole sprouse is daddd on May 20, 2018:
Omg I want one now ahah
your moma on May 02, 2018:
yeet i want one
Recommended for you
Bob the builder on May 02, 2018:
i need one they look intresting
heavenlyshumpert on January 26, 2018:
i really like ipods
PEACE1238 on December 05, 2017:
Thank u i will make sure that i show this 2 my parents!!!!!! :)
Jez on July 18, 2017:
The new iPod touch 6th generation is a great alternative if a child can't have a phone.
JoanCA on July 12, 2012:
I love my iPod Touch. It's much better for books than I expected. I now use it instead of my eReader.
Glenn Stok from Long Island, NY on February 13, 2012:
I had an iPod Touch for two years now and it has become a tool for everything in my life. All because of the apps that can be added. When I needed to get a new pedometer to keep track of my hiking distance, I checked to see if there was an app for that. I found one and now my iPod Touch is also my pedometer. That's just one example.
You wrote a really good review. I learned from you that I should get an updated version. Mine is the first generation, which does not have the camera. I have to check into that. It's the same price as mine was two years ago. But with much more capability.
Cleanclover from Piece of land! on January 14, 2012:
I don't have an ipod yet. I am not a great music guy. However I listen to FM radio sometimes. I would prefer an iphone over ipod. :-)
Kevin Galarneau from Michigan on January 11, 2012:
My brother has an IPod Touch and he loves it. I think it's a great alternative if you can't afford an IPad.
Cardia (author) from Barbados. on January 09, 2012:
No, it doesn't support flash. However, when I use the browser, I don't really come across lots of websites using a large amount of flash.
BlissfulWriter on January 09, 2012:
Is the iPod Touch able to browse webpages with Flash content? I know that the iPhone can not, but Android phones can.