Troubleshooting Vizio Sound Bar Problems
A Vizio Sound Bar can complement an existing surround sound system or replicate one. This article will cover the following:
- Power problems
- Audio problems
- Resetting factory settings
These issues can often be fixed with a little effort on your part without having to exchange the device or return it to the manufacturer for repairs.
If your Sound Bar is producing a static sound, check the following:
- The connectors on the audio cables you're using must be firmly pushed into both the Vizio sound bar and also the source of the audio. If the connectors aren't pushed all the way in, you'll likely experience some form of unwanted noise coming through the speaker.
- The audio cables you're using to connect the sound bar to the audio source may be damaged in some way. Replace the cables you're using with different cables to see if that resolves your problem.
- Use a different audio input into the Vizio Sound Bar. If the audio plays fine while the cables are connected, the issue is likely with the previous input you were using on the speaker.
Won't Power On
If it won't turn on, here are a few things you can try to get it working again:
- If you recently experienced a major power surge in your home (such as a lightning strike), or if you have a large number of devices connected to an AC outlet that shares a circuit breaker with a large number of other devices, try resetting that circuit breaker in case it was tripped.
- Check the power cable for cuts or other forms of physical damage. Sometimes people roll over power cables with chairs, step on them, or rest a desk on them accidentally, all of which can physically harm the cable. If the cable is damaged, you'll need to replace it using any standard 24-volt power cable.
- If you're using the remote that came with the Vizio sound bar, try moving closer to the device and ensuring that there are no objects between you and the front of the Sound Bar. Also, position yourself within 15 feet. Outside of the 15-foot range, Vizio doesn't promise the remote control will work. Finally, try pressing the "Power" button that’s physically located on the Sound Bar. If the Sound Bar responds, you have an issue with the remote control. However, if it doesn't respond, consider contacting Vizio about your power issue, as it may be the result of damaged or defective internal components.
If the audio is silent or you're experiencing other audio issues, try the following:
- Make sure the source audio isn't muted on the source device.
- If you can't hear any audio through the sound bar for a source that's connected via an optical cable, make sure the source device is outputting PCM audio. Some other audio types won't play through the Sound Bar when they're connected via an optical cable.
- Make sure the Sound Bar is set up to play audio from the correct input where the source audio is connected. To ensure this isn't the problem, scroll through all of the Sound Bar's inputs.
How to Reset Factory Settings
For other problems you can't seem to solve using other methods, try resetting the Sound Bar to its original factory settings by doing the following:
- Turn off.
- Disconnect the AC power for roughly ten seconds.
- Reconnect the power cable. The settings on the Sound Bar will be cleared and the device will be restored to its factory settings. While there likely won't be any changes you notice, minor problems can often be resolved by doing this.
© 2012 Max Dalton