Patricia Kamau is a versatile writer with over 6 years of experience. She provides content and technical writing services.
Wordpress SEO Plugins
If you're running a WordPress website, you need to use the best SEO plugins to help you optimize your content.
When you start running your WordPress site, you'll find that there are 50,000+ WordPress plugins, with new ones being added to the official directory daily.
Using the wrong plugin can make your site slow and bring in extra HTTPS requests, among other undesirable outcomes. Determining the best one for your needs isn't easy, which is why I put together this list of the best SEO plugins for WordPress.
The following are the top five picks: #1 is beginner-friendly, while #5 is great for e-commerce sites.
1. Yoast SEO
Yoast SEO optimizes your site's keywords and improves your content's readability. This plugin is beginner-friendly and has a beautiful interface, ideal for blog and product pages.
Premium support options, including a community forum, and updates every two weeks, are some of the things that make this plugin stand out.
There's a free option with excellent features, in case you're on a budget, but you can enjoy the following features for $99/year:
- Ability to configure with Google Search Console: You can verify and link your site with Google Search console. This allows you to view your content crawl errors and other issues preventing Google from ranking your site.
- Internal linking suggestions: Yoast suggests internal links for each post and page, enabling readers to navigate your site easily. This, in turn, increases the number of times readers go through your pages and posts and improves SEO as it increases dwell time.
- XML sitemaps: Whenever you publish new information, the XML sitemaps feature helps search engines easily index all posts, pages, and custom post types on your blog, so it gets crawled.
Pros and Cons of Using Yoast
- Free to download and use (there is a paid version)
- Simple user interface that makes it easy to configure SEO settings
- Great documentation so you won't get lost trying to figure out how best to use the plugin
- No option for single-post optimization in the free version
SEMrush is the best plugin for SEO. It is suitable for SEO professionals, businesses, bloggers, and marketers.
You can use SEMrush to do competitive research, research the best keywords to use in your posts, and track backlinks and rankings.
This plugin's best feature is how it helps you ensure all content on your site is fully optimized for search engines.
SEMrush offers a free plan that features only one template. To enjoy more tools, one has to upgrade to the premium plan.
Some of its best tools for growing your traffic are:
- SEO Writing Assistant (SWA): SEMrush SEO Writing Assistant is a free plugin that will guide you as you write your content. To use it, enter your target keywords and start writing. It will give your content a score based on its readability, tone of voice, SEO, and originality.
- SERP feature: This feature allows you to understand the ranking position of a competitor's site. What's more, it enables you to optimize Meta titles and descriptions. It also gives feedback such as whether there are missing keywords or if image alt text isn't sufficient.
- SEMrush's Site Audit Plugin for WordPress: This best-in-class tool lets users find issues on their website without leaving their WP dashboard. With SEMrush audit reports right inside of WP admin panel, site owners can see what problems are plaguing their sites and fix them on the spot.
Pros and Cons of SEMrush
- SEO writing assistant helps you write content to best suit search engines
- Site audit tool helps you identify problems in your site for easy fixing
- SEMrush is a little pricey; if you're on a budget, this plugin may not be best suited for you
3. Rank Math SEO Plugin
Rank Math is beginner-friendly and easy to install and customize.
It also comes with real-time suggestions when setting up titles and descriptions, making it easier to create the best title tags optimized for keywords.
Compared to other SEO plugins for WordPress, its free version offers advanced features. These include rich snippet optimization, Google Search Console integration, and link-building tools.
Rank Math's premium plan offers support services by Google-certified professionals at an affordable price.
Its most impressive features include:
- Set up wizard: Rank Math has a setup wizard that helps you set up and configure the best SEO settings for your site. This setup wizard allows you to import data from other plugins when setting up your site.
- SEO analysis tool: This best-in-class feature allows users to use a single console from which all their SEO problems are fixed. It also optimizes content, making it easy for search engines to crawl your site and rank it high on SERPs.
- 404 monitor: Rank Math has a monitor that tells you when users see a 404 error or when a site has broken URLs and helps you fix the links.
Pros and Cons of Rank Math SEO Plugin
- It's beginner-friendly
- Has advanced features, including link-building tools
- Checklist feature makes sure you've covered everything needed in each post or page
- Allows you to import data from other plugins when setting up your site
- You cannot get support services through email, so if a problem needs fixing, one has to wait until the next update is released
SEOPress is an affordable solution if you want to get premium features on a budget.
This plugin is available in over 20 languages. What's more, you can use it on unlimited sites, a feature that most popular plugins lack.
Its free version has excellent features such as unlimited keywords, XML and HTML site maps, and content analysis.
SEOPress' premium version allows users to enjoy the following features:
- RSS SEO: This feature helps you submit your sitemap and articles to RSS directories, resulting in increased traffic and better indexing.
- Google Analytics: This feature integrates Google Analytics with SEOPress so that you can see how well your SEO efforts are performing.
- 301 redirects: If you need to move a page or post from one URL to another, 301 redirects will ensure that the old link is redirected automatically to the new one without losing any ranking power or PageRank of the original page.
Pros and Cons of SEOPress
- It's affordable
- Available in 20+ languages
- You can use it on unlimited sites
- The free version lacks features such as Facebook Open Graph and Twitter Card integration
- Premium version is pretty expensive compared to other premium SEO plugins for WordPress
5. All in One SEO (AIOSEO)
AIOSEO has over 2 million users and is the original WordPress SEO plugin.
This plugin is quite beginner-friendly as you do not have to learn SEO jargon to use it.
If you're running an e-commerce site, this is your go-to plugin because it features excellent built-in WooCommerce SEO tools. These include product image SEO and optimization of individual product pages.
Compared to other plugins that do across-the-board SEO, AIOSEO 's interface is more intuitive and easy to use.
Here's a breakdown of some of its best features:
- XML Sitemaps: An XML sitemap is a must for any website that wants to rank high on search engines. This feature creates an XML sitemap and submits it to Google, Bing, and other major search engines.
- Title & Meta Tags: This allows you to set custom titles and meta descriptions for your pages, posts, products, and categories.
- Robots.txt & .htaccess Editor: Editing your robots.txt and htaccess files is crucial if you want to control how Google or Bing crawls your website. This editor makes the process easy for you.
Pros and Cons of AIOSEO
- More affordable than most SEO plugins
- Intuitive and easy-to-use interface
- Lacks some features such as Facebook Open Graph and Twitter Card integration
- The free version lacks many features; you need the premium version for most features
Choosing the best SEO plugins for WordPress can be a daunting task. But with the right information, you can make an informed decision that best suits your needs and website.
Choose one plugin from this post, and you'll be well on your way to helping your content rank page one on SERPs.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.