4 Ways to Make Your Content Go Viral
The Content Game Plan
In today's digital age, every influencer looks forward to creating a viral piece of content. It is the most important prerequisite when writing online.
It is not enough to create a text and a paragraph here and there without thinking of promoting it. Optimization, amplification, and measurement are the holy grail of any content marketing activity. Without putting it into place, the clicks and impressions generated will not look rosy. Several tools are available online for tracking and reporting purposes wherein you can measure the ROE (return on effort) generated.
Overlooking or ignoring the content plan is to kill the website traffic with your own hands. After all, content is the reason for users visiting the website.
Coming to virality, it is the measure of actual reach and influence the content has generated over time. For example, a YouTube channel's popularity is measured through the number of views, time spent, return visits, subscribers, and so on. The same holds true for other social channels.
In this article, we are going to speak about the factors needed to make content go viral.
“The first lesson in constructing viral content is having the strength, courage, and self-confidence to get in touch with your own feelings, thinking about what profoundly affects you.”— Ken Poirot
1. Add Appealing Titles/Headers
The secret to winning the online traffic race is through an appealing title tag. This is the area where the first user impression is registered on the article.
Benefits of using a title tag:
- An attractive title tag coaxes a user to read the entire article.
- Important from the search engine's point of view. It can also result in long term visits to the article even after its archival.
- Users find the relevancy of the topic through the title tag.
- Using the website's primary keyword in the title can increase visits.
- Search engine algorithms rank a website based on keywords used in title and header tags.
- It is the second most important SEO factor after keywords in URL.
- A catchy title is a digital marketer's first key weapon to drive site visits.
- Optimized titles result in high conversions and return visits to the website.
- The user recalls a title tag faster due to the weight attached to it via <strong> and <bold> tags.
2. Use Trending Topics/Keywords in the Content
The topic you select plays a primary role in the context of virality. A well-researched, trending topic is a sure-fire way of gaining virality and reach.
Techniques for researching trending topics:
- Google Alerts: A hot favorite of the masses during Google's heydays and still counting. Type any keyword and receive email alerts related to it. Alerts are received in the form of articles, news pieces, original text source, etc.
- Google Trends: Functions similar to Google Alerts, but displays results in real-time. In Google Alerts, the notification is sent after the keyword registers a hit. In the case of Google Trends, results are delivered instantly as plain keywords - Short and long tail. A keyword trend graph is also displayed along with the keyword volume.
- Hijacking a tweet via the hashtag: A Twitter feature, hashtags display results of the keyword via articles, news, links, images, etc. But instead of typing a keyword, we add a # symbol preceding it. Twitter has gained prominence as one of the top social channels for the number of users registered. Interaction happens very fast and in real-time. Make it a point to extract keyword or topic-related information for generating a viral buzz.
- Website's internal search box: Innocuous looking search box is a big real estate on the website, which is very useful in determining the true user intent. Although less in weightage to Title, heading, and navigation tags, search queries generated through the search box can open up a Pandora's box of secrets.
- Google keyword planner: The holy grail of keyword research and featured on Google's own domain list, keywords researched are accurate and useful. You can use Google keyword planner during the content planning stage.
- Digging into your own grey cell reserves: In this technique, content writing is based on your own view of things, current market trends, and word of mouth rumors. Writing content basis your own logic helps you to gauge the pulse of a user.
3. Use Rich Media Elements in the Content
Variety is the name of the game. Using plain text devoid of images will not guarantee the reader's attention.
Visual elements add spark to the content and generate interest while reading. It also serves as a helpful tip when lost in between sentence constructs.
Benefits of using rich media (Images, Videos, Banners, Links):
- Increase in time spent on the website.
- More user engagement, and interaction on the website.
- Useful to hold the reader's attention.
- Serves as a hooking tool or call to action element on the website.
4. Include the Weapon of Interest / Interactivity
One of the criteria in content creation is including the concept of 'Interest' and 'Interactivity'. Without these two factors, the content will not be much alluring and sticky.
How to use the factor of Interest/Interactivity in the content:
- Use power words like Free, Buy, Bonanza, % OFF, For more details, to make the content interesting.
- Make use of polls, contests, coupons, and deals to keep the audience engaged and loyal.
- Attach elements of interactivity such as comment box, feedback forms, share buttons, etc.
Some Extra Tips for Creating Amazing Content:
- Research on the user intent before creating content. Some of the methods to find user intent include: In-Market, Affinity based, Custom intent, etc.
- Create content for the user and not search engines.
- Abstain from stuffing keywords.
- Keep the keyword density at 1–2% of the total word count.
- Structure the content into sub-headings and bullet points for easy readability.
- Use bold tags wherever necessary to make the topic stand out.
- Always order the content in blocks starting with a title followed by summary, body, conclusion, and ending it with an author bio for instilling trust.
- Generate user curiosity with interrogative type sentences.
- Use content-rich snippets for lifting keyword rankings and search engine discoverability.
- Break up the paragraphs into smaller chunks for easy navigation.
References for This Article:
- The Secrets of Viral Content and How to Create It
Getting content to go viral is the holy grail of any online business, but people tend to think virality is a mysterious subject. If you haven’t done much research on it, you’re probably in the dark about how it works, and you won’t be able to benefit
The Final Cut in Game of Content Virality
Following these anchors will not make you into an overnight star, but will ensure that your content reaches the right audience. There are no set rules on virality and no defined principles.
An ordinary video or an image can go viral without your least expecting it. It is up to the psychology of the masses at a particular moment of the visit.
Technology also plays a prime role via cross-channel marketing. The content should be served at the right time, on the right channels and devices.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Danny