Melanie is a tech YouTuber who loves social media and is an expert on internet culture. She also runs a YouTube channel: The Curious Coder.
An email is very similar to a letter—you write a greeting, a message, and you sign it with your name.
If you work for a large corporation, your emails are likely stamped with other details such different ways to get a hold of you: cell phone, fax, alternate email addresses, and perhaps the company website. This additional information makes up what is called an email signature.
But email signatures are no longer just for work; show off your comedic side by adding a funny email sign-off to all of your outgoing messages!
There are seriously tons of funny sayings that work great as email signatures! Finding a humorous closing salutation that defines "you" is easy as pie.
All you have to do is find something that makes you laugh your pants off! Those who get your humor will laugh every time they get an email from you.
Ways to Say Goodbye
Email signatures are most often placed at the very bottom of an email after you sign your name. Because of this, some of the funniest email signatures are the ones that say goodbye:
- It's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
- Many seek good nights and lose good days.
- Well, I've got to get back to work. When I stop rowing, the slave ship just goes in circles.
- After all is said and done, more is said than done.
- Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.
Messages Related to the Content of Your Email
Another funny way to wrap up an email is to sign it with something that's not only hilarious but also relates to the content of the email. It can be difficult to find something witty that is close to the subject matter of your message, but perhaps one of these can be tailored a bit to match your email:
- Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
- Save time: See it my way.
- This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.
How to add a signature to your Gmail account
Signatures about Technology
Send a lot of emails? Is technology on your brain? Mention email in your email with a funny sign-off about computers and technology!
- iPhone. iTypos. iApologize.
- Typed on tiny keys, just for you.
- All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?
- A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?
- ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!
- Computers are a more fun way to do the same work you'd have to do without them.
- Computers follow your orders, not your intentions.
- I hit the CTRL key, but I'm still not in control!
- You had mail, but the super-user read it and deleted it!
Sometimes it's good to sign off with a classic. These lines were so good that someone bothered to write them down:
- "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."—Oscar Wilde
- "Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it."—Henry David Thoreau
- "I like to tell people I have the heart of a small boy. Then I say it's in a jar on my desk."—Stephen King
- "People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public."—Bryan White
More Funny Ways to End a Letter or Email!
Need more ideas for funny email sign-offs? Try one of these signatures:
- Dear IRS, Please cancel my subscription.
- Note on a door: Out to lunch. If not back by five, out for dinner also.
- Sometimes being an adult is exactly what you imagined it would be when you were five: staying up late and eating Lucky Charms for dinner.
- A billion Chinese can't be wrong: eat rice.
- Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
- Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
- Earn cash in your spare time - blackmail friends. (This one is especially funny with all the spam emails that are going around promising you 4k a month for doing nothing!)
- Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
- A man spends the first half of his life learning habits that shorten the other half of his life.
- A true friend is one who thinks you're a good egg even though you're half-cracked.
- Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.
- Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.
- Always remember to pillage before you burn.
- Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you.
- Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away, and you have their shoes too.
- Don't spend two dollars on drying clean a shirt. Donate it to the Salvation Army instead. They'll clean it and put it on a hanger. Next morning, buy it back for seventy-five cents.
- If you and your friend are being chased by a grizzly bear, don't worry about outrunning the bear, just worry about out-running your friend.
- When you're in up over your head, the first thing to do is close your mouth.
Next time you send out an email, think of adding something a little witty to your signature line! If you come up with something funny enough to share, leave here in a comment. Humor can't be kept secret!
© 2011 Melanie Palen
Bell bell on September 03, 2017:
Jason on June 05, 2017:
hahaha! That was great.
Amanda on May 31, 2017:
Hilarious! I love this!
Kristen Howe from Northeast Ohio on June 28, 2015:
Thanks for making me smile and laugh on this rainy/sunny day. Voted up for funny!
Debby Bruck on January 26, 2015:
Hi Melbel. I clicked "funny" because it was humorous.
Melanie Palen (author) from Midwest, USA on January 25, 2015:
Thank you so much Marcy! :)
Marcy Goodfleisch from Planet Earth on January 25, 2015:
Fun hub! You always have some great topics, Mel - I love this one - gonna use a few.
Suzanne Day from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on May 21, 2014:
Great hub and enjoyed it very much. Yes, the slave ship really does go in circles while I play!!! Voted funny and liked.
Laurel Rogers from Bishop, Ca on April 15, 2014:
Hysterical...thanks, I needed this!!!!!!
JHanis on February 24, 2014:
Barry Rutherford from Queensland Australia on November 15, 2013:
Sorri for the spellin the spelchecker is down
Soubhik from Chakrabarti on November 02, 2013:
really great article, enjoyed this one the most:
so much so its my status on facebook now
jim on July 25, 2013:
I am an attorney and for my personal email I add the following signature:
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
JIM a/k/a RedDog!
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not authorized (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas. Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or no grammatical use and may be ignored.
No animals were harmed in the transmission of this email, although the kelpie next door is living on borrowed time, let me tell you. Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards, so just ignore that Alert Notice from Microsoft. However, by pouring a complete circle of salt around yourself and your computer you can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets. If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg and egg whites, whisk and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.
Nell Rose from England on June 06, 2013:
Haha! love it! I never thought of doing this, but I am going to now! funny stuff, thanks for the laugh!
swathi180 on April 27, 2013:
This is a good hub. I keep my signature as simple as possible and in the perfect business way :)
CJ on April 13, 2013:
There's also this old chestnut:
"A computer won't stop you being an idiot, but it'll make you a faster, better idiot".
anuramkumar from Chennai, India on February 16, 2013:
Really funny...voted up.
Anonymous on January 03, 2013:
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
mr anonymous on December 21, 2012:
love these signatures!!!!! so funny
Kameara on December 17, 2012:
Another is this: Some people are like slinkies. They aren't good for very much, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
livingsta from United Kingdom on November 09, 2012:
That was funny!!!!
Brianna W from East Coast on August 30, 2012:
These are awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Aekateryna on August 30, 2012:
After all is said and done, more is said than done. - should add this for super-chatty people.
iefox5 on August 29, 2012:
haha, thanks for sharing the funny signatures.
UltimateMovieRankings from Virginia on August 07, 2012:
First of all congrats on your 2012 Hubbie Award win. Secondly I really enjoyed reading this hub....lots of great things that I will start using in my e-mails....I love the one that says....."Save time.....see it my way"....which actually might be better for my wife....lol.
Kelly Umphenour from St. Louis, MO on July 13, 2012:
Ut O! Now I have got to figure a good one out for my signature:) haha oh my...
diggnet from US on June 16, 2012:
hahaaa - A true friend is one who thinks you're a good egg even though you're half-cracked.
Guest on May 24, 2012:
ShaamCA from India on May 10, 2012:
Ha Ha Ha that's very funny thanks for sharing it here...
Rachel Vega from Massachusetts on February 24, 2012:
"Thespacebarisbroken!" Ha! This made me laugh and deserves my Funny vote! Thanks.
Mary Craig from New York on January 24, 2012:
I used to work in technology and know my crew would be laughing with tears in their eyes. These are truly great and hilarious. Good job! Voted up and funny. Thanks for sharing.
cebutouristspot from Cebu on January 24, 2012:
This hub just manage to make me laugh. Reading this just made my day. Thanks for sharing
Justin W Price from Juneau, Alaska on January 24, 2012:
omg, melbel. This is terrific! voted up and across and shared
Tammy from North Carolina on January 18, 2012:
These are really funny! I am going to share with my friends. Thanks!
Marisa Hammond Olivares from Texas on January 17, 2012:
LOL - these really had me laughing! I love this hub - thank you for the fun and creative ideas. Sure beats the old humdrum signatures.
my two favs...
Well, I've got to get back to work. When I stop rowing, the slave ship just goes in circles.
After all is said and done, more is said than done.
I liked them all, but these two had me giggling. :)
Linda Bilyeu from Orlando, FL on January 17, 2012:
Funny stuff! There are some good ideas on here! Thanks melbel!!
rishweby on January 11, 2012:
I really liked "Note on a door: Out to lunch... if not back by five, out for dinner also". Really an impressive hub. Already tweet.
Mason on December 09, 2011:
I have a very witty signature.
Dumb people say what they know. Wise people know what they say.
fitnesszone from New York on November 30, 2011:
haha, this hub deserves a vote up. Gonna use a few :P
tjml on November 26, 2011:
wow! funny hub! one vote up ^ Thanks for sharing funny email signatures.
Ringandping from Santa Ana, CA on October 26, 2011:
I think your post is awesome. I find sometimes we don't laugh enough. your e-mail signature are defiantly a good way to lighten the mode of a message.
Thanks for the great post!
Melanie Palen (author) from Midwest, USA on October 14, 2011:
Go ahead! This list was made so that you can use these for you to use. :P
Venture Boyz from Floating in the clouds on September 01, 2011:
haha oh so creative and funny. "Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm." LOL I know many people that this one would be perfect for. I might have to hijack a couple from this list.
haggler from Sydney Australia on September 01, 2011:
Eaglekiwi from New Zealand on August 13, 2011:
Thanks for the humour!
Phil Plasma from Montreal, Quebec on August 03, 2011:
A buddy of mine somehow managed a random quote generator that appends to his emails so his emails have a different funny quote each time. Great hub earning you a vote-up, funny and interesting.
Hello, hello, from London, UK on August 02, 2011:
Thank you for the good and timely laugh.
Carlon Michelle from USA on August 01, 2011:
Another fun hub by you. I voted it funny and awesome. Smile!
Moira Garcia Gallaga from Lisbon, Portugal on July 27, 2011:
This is a funny hub, thanks for sharing.
loricollier on July 27, 2011:
You had me at "swelling," but my favorite was "Save time...see it my way."
Glenn Stok from Long Island, NY on July 26, 2011:
Really enjoyed this hub. There were some really good signatures here.
HennieN from South Africa on July 25, 2011:
Some very useful signatures here. Almost a signature for every possible situation. Great hub.