Kent is a content creator who enjoys sharing her knowledge about consumer tech. She enjoys playing Black Desert Mobile.
How to Unsend a Message on Messenger
Facebook has recently rolled out a new feature for Messenger called “Unsend”. Thanks to this new feature, users now have the option to recall messages via its popular messaging app. With the help of this new message recall option, you no longer have to worry about sending messages by mistake. This also gives you the opportunity to correct messages just in case there are typos.
Once recalled, the unsent message will no longer appear in your conversation as well as to your recipient. The said option can be used regardless if a user is doing a private chat or a group chat. It does not work if you are sending encrypted chats.
Here’s the Catch!
Users should keep in mind that the unsend option has a 10-minute time limit. A user is only allowed to unsend or recall a message during this time frame. After that, you can still remove the message from your chat screen but it will still be visible to your recipient.
It is also important to note that while Facebook now allows its users to recall messages, it will still keep a copy of the message on its server. While Facebook didn’t disclose how long it will keep the copies, it noted that these messages will be eventually deleted.
Step-by-Step Guide to Unsending Messages in Facebook
How this unsend feature works is plain and simple. Just follow the steps listed below:
- Tap and hold the message you want to unsend. This will bring up the options that you can do with the selected message. If you are using the web version of Facebook or Messenger, simply click the 3 dots icon that appears in the overflow menu whenever you hover over a message in a chat or group conversation.
- Amongst the list of options, select “Remove”.
- Facebook will then ask you whether you want to “Unsend for Everyone” or “Remove for You”.
- Select “Unsend for Everyone”. This will remove the message in everyone’s conversation, not just you.
- When prompted, select “Remove” to confirm and that’s it! The message will no longer appear in your message thread as well as to everyone whom you’ve sent it to.
Do note that once the message has been unsent, Facebook will leave some sort of subtle notice informing everyone that you’ve unsent a message. Even so, there will be no option for them to retrieve the original message.
So there you have it! The next time autocorrect messes up your message, you no longer have to freak out. Just unsend it and you’re done.
Want to Unsend Messages on Instagram Instead? Here's How!
- How to Unsend a Message in Instagram
Have you ever messaged someone via Instagram Direct only to find that you’ve sent the wrong text? Well, you are in luck because you can easily retract your messages via Instagram Unsend.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Kent Peligrino
Kent Peligrino (author) from Philippines on March 08, 2019:
Lol. I'm sure many can relate and will definitely find this new Facebook Messenger feature very useful! ;)
Farrah Young from Lagos, Nigeria on March 08, 2019:
This is a good initiative and about time too. So the next time an angry wife sends a wordy message to her partner then realizes her mistakes, she can quickly recall it. Lol.