How to Unsend Messages in Facebook Messenger
Facebook has recently rolled out a new feature for Messenger called “Unsend”. Thanks to this new feature, users now have the option to recall messages via its popular messaging app. With the help of this new message recall option, you no longer have to worry about sending messages by mistake. This also gives you the opportunity to correct messages just in case there are typos.
Once recalled, the unsent message will no longer appear in your conversation as well as to your recipient. The said option can be used regardless if a user is doing a private chat or a group chat. It does not work if you are sending encrypted chats.
Here’s the Catch!
Users should keep in mind that the unsend option has a 10-minute time limit. A user is only allowed to unsend or recall a message during this time frame. After that, you can still remove the message from your chat screen but it will still be visible to your recipient.
It is also important to note that while Facebook now allows its users to recall messages, it will still keep a copy of the message on its server. While Facebook didn’t disclose how long it will keep the copies, it noted that these messages will be eventually deleted.
Unsend Messages in Facebook Messenger
How this unsend feature works is plain and simple. Just follow the steps listed below:
- Tap and hold the message you want to unsend. This will bring up the options that you can do with the selected message.
- Amongst the list of options, select “Remove”.
- Facebook will then ask you whether you want to “Remove for Everyone” or “Remove for You”.
- Select “Remove for Everyone”. This will remove the message in everyone’s conversation, not just you.
- When prompted, select “Remove” to confirm and that’s it! The message will no longer appear in your message thread as well as to everyone whom you’ve sent it to.
Do note that once the message has been removed, Facebook will leave some sort of subtle notice informing everyone that you’ve removed a message. Even so, there will be no option for them to retrieve the original message.
So there you have it! The next time autocorrect messes up your message, you no longer have to freak out. Just unsend it and you’re done.
Have you already tried using the Facebook Messenger "Unsend" feature?
Questions & Answers
© 2019 Kent Peligrino