Important New Pinning Tips for Pinterest
When They Update so Should You
Pinterest has completed a major update on their website and with this change comes a major new set of platform directives for those who pin there. Hashtags are back in, long pins are out, and pinning daily is more important than it has previously ever been.
It may seem that changes to your favourite websites are constant and the truth really isn't too far off from that basic fact. The internet is continually evolving and as it does so do the sites that reside there. If you work or play on the internet your best defense is to evolve along with it.
You Create a Board then Pin Images to it
Writers Teachers and Moms do it - Do You?
Do you have boards on Pinterest?
Quality and Size of Image Counts
Long images used to be the desired goal but this no longer applies. Starting in 2018 it appears that tall or "over length" pins will be penalized on Pinterest by being ignored. Referred to as Giraffes these images often tower over other pins. They don't fit in with the new content theme so these over sized images are now officially out.
- The desired image size is now a ratio of 2 by 3 or approximately a 600 to 900 pixel size photo. Extra long images will be ignored so try to keep your shared photos at a maximum length of 900 pixels.
- Blurry images will now be recognized by the software so it is also crucial to insure you are using high quality images when you pin. Quality counts.
- Use images that are easy to comprehend. A quick quote or simple description on the image helps.
- Use images that are relevant to the topic. First impressions are vital as early engagement is now a key factor in how Pinterest will promote your post.
- Early engagement is important so try to use images that will grab your followers interest. If your pins are popular then Pinterest will be more likely to promote them.
A Relevant Image is Easy to Understand
Fresh Content is More Likely to Show in Feed
Now more than ever before fresh content is king so try to pin daily or at an absolute minimum of once per week. Fresh posts are more likely to show up in the site's feed compared to that of older content.
There are a number of factors that will influence how pins are featured but suffice to say that a good first impression is vital. Not only will the quality of your pin be noted but also the quality of the website that it leads back to. Another important factor will be the popularity of your previous pins so it is important to get the formula right.
- Add a description to each image that you pin.
- Pinterest hashtags are back so insure that you apply them to every image you bring into the site. Use related keywords and # hashtag up to 20 keywords per pin.
- Pin on trending events, seasonal topics, and special holidays. During these trending events Pinterest will be paying close attention to those accounts that post images relevant to the event. This means that you don't want to miss out on being included onto their featured promotional lists.
- Pin from your domain but also share pins from other sites as well. Be generous. The time of day is not so important as the engagement that a pin recieves.
How Boards Influence Your Pins
Getting onto large size group boards used to be a desirable goal for most pinners. These boards could contain thousands of members making their potential popularity unlimited and this equated to numerous possible repins whenever one posted there. But this has all changed with the new Pinterest feed rules.
Group boards are now down ranked to favour instead individual topic relevant boards. Group boards will still be of value but it will be the members within the board who will responsible for the reshares there. This is an important new feature to keep in mind if you have very few of personal boards and a good hint that it may be time to create a few more personal ones.
I have been going through my Pinterest page to examine and revise my groups. If I have joined groups with just a few members I remove my profile from them. When I find my own boards that have 2 to 6 members on them I remove the added profiles so I am the only pinner there.
I am still keeping the larger group boards as they are and will continue making use of them but this will now be in the context of posting only content those members would be interested in reading.
Why do You Pin?
How do You Use Pinterest?
Quality and Social Popularity are Two Factors that Influence Which Posts Hit the Homepage
Not Sure What this Website is all About?
Pinterest defines itself as a " Visual Discovery Engine" it is a place to discover topics you are looking for and to also perhaps find a few interesting tidbits that you may not have realize you were searching for. It is a site where you can find new recipe suggestions, craft project ideas, articles on fixing or building things, and even incentives and motivation to help you move forward in a more positive manner. It is a social networking site almost as much as it is a learning resource center.
It is a site where you can discover but you can also share. On Pinterest you can create boards that are themed to your interests and then save pins to them. Think of these much like the community boards you would find in your local school or government office except that the ones you create will be designated for your own personal needs. Some suggested board titles might be as follows:
- Auto Repair
- Art Illustrations
- Frugal Shopping
- Home Decor
- Kid Stuff
You can save any pin you discover on Pinterest by pinning it to your boards. This allows you to save topics that are relevant to you and your needs. Fortunately though you have a much greater field of items you can save to your boards than just those topics you discover on this site. As you surf the internet you can save virtually any online image from any page. As you pin an image you also save the page url along with it so you can at any time in the future click on the image to take you back to that article once again. Your boards can be used as a tool or bookmark to save your favourite websites onto.
You can pin for work, promotion, or simply for your own personal enjoyment. There are so very many ways to use this site and all of them are based on the adventure of discovery.
© 2018 Lorelei Cohen