I am a graphic designer, business owner, and social media expert. I hope that my experience will be a benefit to you.
What Is Networking?
Networking brings people together to rally for a common cause, whether it’s for business, political, personal, or religious reasons. It can be very powerful. A network is a group of people who have your back. If you own a business or a blog, you need to create or join a network, or several of them. They will share your posts (or product), help you with problem-solving, and help you connect with the resources you need.
On Facebook, one of the best ways to network is to join a group. Networking builds a connection between you and your readers, and social networking on a site like Facebook is essential to developing a devoted user base.
How to Find the Right Groups
- Type your business type or interest in the search bar. You will be taken to a page that has the most recent posts that are related to your search.
- Along the top of that page will be a menu bar. The choices will be all, posts, people, photos, videos, marketplace, pages, places, groups, apps, and events.
- Click the groups tab, and all the groups related to your search will be there.
- Click on the group whose page you are interested in. It will take you to the group’s page. There you can get information such as rules, practices, number of members, etc.
- There should be a “join” button right underneath the cover image at the top.
- Most groups have an autoresponder in place. It’s a pop-up window that asks you a few questions.
- Your answers and your request will be sent to the group’s administrator. You will get a message (usually within a few days) as to if your request to join has been accepted or declined.
Deciding Which Groups to Join
Think about what goals you would like to achieve through networking. Are you there to learn more about a certain subject? To gain customers or readers? Or to get the group's assistance with marketing your product? I believe you need to go in with the end in mind. Know why you are there and try and scope out why the others are there too. Read the group rules and pay attention to the posts of current members. It is just as important to ask yourself what you can contribute to the group. To be a part of an effective network, everyone must be a contributor.
What kind of time commitment will you have to make? Sometimes the time you would have to put in takes away the benefits. There are many things you should be assessing in order to figure out if you are a good fit for the group. Luckily with most of the social network groups, it is just as easy to leave as it is to join. If you find yourself in a group that isn’t benefiting you, leave.
How Many Groups Should I Join?
This is an easy answer: join as many as you can keep up with. There are different apps that will help you be more effective on social media. Also, there are some networks that help you to post on other platforms at the same time you are posting on theirs, which is extremely helpful. If your groups are beneficial to your business and you are managing your time well, you should have a variety of groups and sources at your disposal.
Consider Creating Your Own Facebook Group
There are many advantages to creating your own group. You can interact with your readers. Your readers can interact with one another. You can post links, PDFs, pics, surveys, polls. It can give you a ton of information on reader preferences and help you gain new readers as well. You will have to invest some time. Creating content and engaging with your members is a must. You may find it to be well worth it in the end. Here are some ways to increase your group membership.
- Your readers share a common interest. Those who have subscribed to your blog will also want to join your group. Let your readers know about your new group. Write a blog article about the group and invite your readers to join. Post links to your group in your article.
- Add a “join my Facebook Group” button to your page.
- You can also invite your Facebook friends to join your group. When they join, their friends will see a notification that they’ve joined a group. Hopefully, they will want to join too.
- Mention your group in other groups with similar interests.
To gain readers, you need to have a presence where they are. Increasingly, readers spend their time on social networking sites; that is where you need to be. Have you used Facebook or other social networking sites to promote your blog? Have you found it to be effective? Drop a comment below!
© 2018 Suzette Alexander
HaremCinema on December 13, 2019:
This was pretty neat. I am a member of a LOT of facebook groups and find them pretty useful.
Suzette Alexander (author) from U.S.A. on December 02, 2018:
I'm glad you found this helpful, Payal!
Payal Dutta on December 02, 2018:
Very informative. This is indeed very helpful for someone who is interested in joining/starting a new group. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
Suzette Alexander (author) from U.S.A. on December 01, 2018:
Thanks Chelsea. I benefit not only from blogger groups but, Pinterest re-pin groups, Instagram engagement groups and women in business groups. Sometimes the re-pin groups do better than my Tailwind Tribes. Thanks for leaving a link. I will check out your blog.