Kent is a content creator who enjoys sharing her knowledge about consumer tech. She enjoys playing Black Desert Mobile.
Downloading your own videos on Facebook is easy. That’s because the social media giant has a download option for videos that you have uploaded to your own timeline. However, you cannot do the same for videos that were uploaded by other users. One of the main reasons for this is video ownership rights. You can’t simply download a video owned by others without their permission especially if the video is an original content. The most legal and respectful way to download a copy of that video is to directly message the user who uploaded it.
Fortunately, copyright ownership may not always be an issue especially if the video that you are trying to download is considered as public domain. Nonetheless, the ideal practice is to always get permission before downloading a video that you have not uploaded yourself. There are a lot of things to consider when it comes to video ownership. Since it is such a broad topic, you can do your own research to find out more about it.
Whatever your purpose is for seeking a way to download a video from Facebook, it can be easily done as long as you follow the steps below. Do keep in mind that downloading a video is different from saving a video. If you “Save a video” on Facebook, it will simply be placed on your list of “Saved” items. You still won’t be able to download a video to your phone, tablet or computer.
Downloading Your Own Videos
This one is easy! If you are the one who uploaded the video to your page or timeline, you can easily download a video by following these steps:
- Open your Facebook timeline or page in a web browser (ex. Chrome, Edge). This method will only work on the web version of Facebook. It won’t work if you are using the app.
- Click on the video that you want to download. Make sure that after you click it, the video expands and plays in a larger window.
- After you’ve done so, you should now be seeing the video description on the right side of the viewing window. Just right above the description, there should be a 3 horizontal dots icon. Click on it.
- A list of video options should appear. From the list, hover over the “Download video” option then right-click on it. The right-click menu should appear. In it, select “Save link as” and voila! The “Save As” dialog should show up allowing you to download and save the video to your computer.
Download a Video Using a Third-Party Video Downloader
This method will come in handy if you want to download videos straight to your smartphone. This will work on videos that you've uploaded yourself as well as on videos posted by someone else. It also won’t matter much if you are on Android or iPhone (iOS) because for this method to work, you will have to use a third-party video downloader.
Speaking of which, there are lots of video downloader tools available online and many of them work as advertised! So here’s what you need to do:
- Go to the video that you want to download. This time, it can be any video. It doesn’t necessarily need to be your own video. Now, click on the video to enlarge it and for its options to show up.
- If you are on the web version of Facebook, click on the 3 horizontal dots icon and from the list of options, select “Copy link”. The video’s direct URL should be automatically copied to your clipboard.
- If you are on the app, click “Share” but don’t share the video to your timeline. Instead, scroll for more sharing options. There should be a “Copy Link” option somewhere in the options. The placement of this option may vary depending on what phone you are using but it should be there regardless if you are using Android or iPhone (iOS). Tap on the “Copy Link” option. The video URL should be automatically copied to your clipboard.
- The next thing you should do is open your web browser and load your preferred video downloader. If you are on your phone, you can use a video downloader app or simply open one on your mobile browser. A few good ones that actually work are FB Down, SaveFrom and Getfvid.
- From here on, it should be easy since all you need to do is “Paste” the video link to the video URL bar provided. After which, click “Go” or “Download” and select your desired video format. Most video downloaders would let you download the video as MP4 in either HD or standard formats.
- After which, you will be prompted to proceed with the download and have the video saved to your computer or smartphone.
Easy right? Just remember that not all videos can be downloaded especially if they are private videos. Moreover, you should keep in mind not to abuse this method by illegally downloading copyrighted content.
This method also will come in handy especially in situations where you no longer have the original copy of the videos that you've uploaded. If the video that you want to download is owned by someone else, make sure that you have properly obtained permission before you download their content.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Kent Peligrino