Nick is a young writer studying, pondering and giving advice.
The statistics all tell the same story: Social media is gaining in popularity every day.
- The average time spent on social networks per day: 1.72 hours (in 2015).
- The average number of hours a teenager spends online per week: 27 (2015).
Social media has become a prominent part of life for many young people today. Most people engage with social media without stopping to think what the effects are on our lives, whether positive or negative. Are we as a society becoming more concerned with Facebook "friends" than we are with the people we interact with face-to-face in our daily lives? What will the longterm effects of today's social media use be?
There are many positive aspects, but there are equally as many dangers that come with the use of sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google +, Tumblr, Instagram, gaming sites, and blogs. In order to make the right choices, we must dig in and research this topic thoroughly.
How Much Time Per Day Do You Spend On Social Media?
What are the positive aspects of engaging in social media?
The positives of social media:
- Teachers are able to easily collaborate and communicate with students and one another.
- Students have easy, free access to resources online to help them learn.
- Grades improve and absenteeism is reduced.
- 59% of student users report that they use social networking to discuss educational topics and 50% use the sites to talk about school assignments.
- Voter participation is increased. Facebook users said they are more likely to vote if they see that their online friends did. During the elections of 2010, users who visited Facebook more than once a day were 2.5 times more likely to attend a political rally or meeting and 43% more likely to say they will vote.
- Social media facilitates political change: Online networks give social movements a quick, cheap method of disseminating information and mobilizing people.
- 27.8% of Americans get their news online. (28.8% get it from newspapers and 18.8% from radio.)
- Information spreads faster online than any other media. More than 50% learn about breaking news on social media.
- Social networking provides academic research to everyone with online access, allowing people access to previously unavailable resources.
- Social media sites inform and empower individuals to change themselves and their communities.
- Social media allow people to communicate with friends and this increased online communication strengthens those relationships. 52% of online teens say social media have helped their friendships. 88% say being online helps them stay in touch with friends they don't see regularly.
- People make new friends. 57% online teens report making new friends online.
- Great for professionals for marketing, connecting, and finding business opportunities.
- Employers find employees and unemployed find work. 89% of job recruiters have hired via LinkedIn, 26% via Facebook, and 15% via Twitter.
- Social media sites have created thousands of jobs and new avenues of income.
The Expectation of Fame and the Importance of Being "Liked"
What are the negative aspects of engaging in social media?
The negatives of social media:
A Detriment to Work and/or School:
- Enables cheating on school assignments.
- While grades did improve for light users, the grades of students who are heavy users of social media tend to suffer. One study shows that student users have an average GPA of 3.06 while non-users have an average GPA of 3.82.
- For every 93 minutes over the average 106 minutes spent on Facebook daily, college students’ grades dropped .12 points.
- Another study showed that students who went online while studying scored 20% lower on tests.
- Possible negative effects on college admission: 35% of admissions officers scan prospective students' social media and report discovering information that affects their admissions decision.
- Social networking sites harm employees' productivity. 51% of users aged 25-34 checked social media at work.
- Using social media can harm employment and prospects. Job recruiters check a prospective employee's social media accounts, and things like profanity, poor spelling or grammar, racism, sexism, poor health, references to alcohol or drugs, and sexual and religious content can all count against you.
Lack of Privacy:
- People, especially the young, are often too open and public with personal information when online. Most don't read privacy policies and may be unaware that their information may be used by third parties, like advertisers, insurance companies, and the IRS. 21% of teens believe it is safe and harmless to post personal information, including photos.
- Exposure to corporate and governmental intrusions. The US Justice Department intercepts thousands of pieces of information from email and social networking activity per year.
- The IRS trains agents to scan social media for information that can help them resolve taxpayer cases.
- Insurance companies use information gleaned from social media, as well. If you have "liked" a medical-related page or a post about a health condition, that information is sometimes used by insurance companies to determine eligibility and raise rates.
- Online advertising policies are an invasion of privacy. If you "like" a brand, you’re giving that company access to your personal information.
Users Vulnerable to Crime:
- Social networking sites allow hate groups to recruit and distribute propaganda online.
- Unauthorized sharing and copyright infringement threatens intellectual property and causes loss of income.
- Security attacks such as hacking, identity theft, phishing scams, and viruses are common online. 68% of users share their real birth date, 63% share the name of their high school, 18% share their phone number, 12% share a pet's name: This information might be used in identity theft.
- Criminals use social media to commit crimes. Robbers know when you're away from your home on vacation and stalkers get information about your whereabouts via social media.
- Sexual predators find, stalk, and assault victims through social media.
- Sexting (texting sexual content) can be a big problem. When teens post sexy photos or comments online, it can lead to criminal charges and child pornography. 88% of "private" sexual images posted to social media are stolen and publicly posted on porn sites without the subject's knowledge.
- Security attacks such as hacking, identity theft, and viruses and exposure to phishing scams are common via social media.
- Cyber-bullying (the use of electronic communication to bully someone, usually by sending intimidating or threatening messages) is commonplace online, causes emotional trauma, and sometimes even leads to suicide. 49.5% of students reported victimization by bullying online and 33.7% admitted to online bullying. A 2012 study found that at least 800,000 minors had been harassed on Facebook. Middle school children who experienced cyberbullying were almost twice as likely to try to kill themselves.
- According to one report, 15% of adult users said that something that happened online caused a friendship to end. 12% of adult users said something that happened online caused a face-to-face argument, and for 3% of adults it turned into a physical confrontation.
- Extensive online engagement is correlated with personality and brain disorders like poor social skills, ADHD, narcissistic tendencies, a need for instant gratification, and addictive behaviors and other emotional distress like depression, anxiety, and loneliness.
- Less time for face-to-face interaction with loved ones. 47% of 18-34-year-old users reported using social media or texting during meals. 10% of people younger than 25 reported checking their phones and social media during sex.
- Children at higher risk for depression, low self-esteem, and eating disorders and more prone to feeling isolated and disconnected (especially youth with disabilities).
- Enables the spread of false rumors and unreliable information: 49.1% of users have read false news on social media.
- Encourages amateur medical advice and self-diagnosis of health problems, which can be dangerous and life-threatening.
- Studies have shown that sites such as Facebook influence you, via advertisements, to spend more money.
- Advertisers gain all kinds of personal information about you via your social media, information they use to persuade you to buy their product.
A Waste of Time:
- When alerted to a new post or tweet, it takes about 20 to 25 minutes for the average user to return to their original task. 30% of the time it takes two hours for the user to return to their original task.
What Is Your Opinion About Social Media?
The Bottom Line: Is Social Media Taking Over?
Paradoxically, social media sites can make us not only more capable but also more inept. We sometimes share too much with too many, and we have to be conscious of that. Overall, we have to be careful and caution when approaching these things.
In this day and age, we are pressured 10 different ways as far as our beliefs and opinions are concerned. Are having our own thoughts or are we so influenced by external phenomenon that we believe everything we see online?
In many cases it is clear that social media has become not only part of people’s lives but the things their lives revolve around. We see people checking smartphones every two minutes, looking for the latest tweet or status update. It’s important yet difficult to retain the attitude that these sites may be useful, but that's all they are—tools, not lifestyles.
Andrew Keen is well-known for his opposition to social networking. He believes that the Internet needs to be more "habitable" for users. He has some bold points that we need to take into consideration.
References and Further Reading
Beres, D. (n.d.): 5 Weird Negative Effects of Social Media on Your Brain. Reader's Digest.
California Adolescent Health Collaborative. (2011, 8). Impact of Social Media on Adolescent Behavioral Health in California phi.org.
Strickland, J. (n.d.). What are the pros and cons of social networking sites?
Mbomson on February 13, 2020:
Thanks a lot for this extensive researched work. This article is an eye opener and so instructive about reality of the enormous effects of social media....
Juliet on August 27, 2019:
thanks for your awareness
Bhumi on July 19, 2019:
Thank you for sharing this information after reading your article I added reading news activity in my daily schedule and I also came across a website The Kashmir walla that provides me all the latest news in Kashmir, Daily news in Kashmir, Breaking news in Kashmir visit them for more information https://thekashmirwalla.com
Da boi vegetable on July 09, 2019:
Very informative my orals done now time for my test
6969 on July 08, 2019:
0001 on July 05, 2019:
Anu on May 29, 2019:
This is very useful to me
Zakaria on April 20, 2019:
What are the major health risks of Social media on young people?
jahseh on February 12, 2019:
thx, this helped. :)
Adah kashyap on February 10, 2019:
It should be suggested to all the people's who are mostly on fb,Twitter,insta,games,WhatsApp etc.....
It should be taken carefully and it was an amazing article
Thanks for the help
Veda on January 16, 2019:
Thank you. It is very informative and helpful. I almost copied it to my assignment.
Yash on January 14, 2019:
karthick on January 03, 2019:
it was informative
Mel sky on November 27, 2018:
It is very informative
It has giving me the exact information I need for my R.M.E project work.
Lk on November 24, 2018:
Thank u its really useful
bobmarley on November 20, 2018:
its so nice have to name it twice reggae sauce
karrisynhackney on November 14, 2018:
this is great.
karrisyn hackney on November 13, 2018:
I like this site because it helps tell you the things going on in the world that nobody notices.
Air raid on November 08, 2018:
Great, I'm liking this site
LJ on November 07, 2018:
This is really interesting. I was doing it for research and I am really glad I found this.
bradley joyce on November 06, 2018:
i hit children on a daily
Nand Kishore on November 02, 2018:
Thank you so much to provide data because I’m student of media & mass communication , finely I got what I wanted
giselle on October 31, 2018:
I think that the social media is ruining our lives, my daughter gets hate comment
Vansh on October 20, 2018:
It was easy to read in this way help me lot thanks
Faique on September 18, 2018:
Good I like it
ayshamasu on September 14, 2018:
mouni on September 08, 2018:
thank you so much...
Rajeswari on August 23, 2018:
I think for people it's the life
zion on August 15, 2018:
it was ok
josh on August 15, 2018:
it help me so much wow!
Avin on August 13, 2018:
Thank you. Very good article
sanya on August 08, 2018:
good website good factors from site:)
Saniya£ on August 06, 2018:
It is very useful
saroj on July 30, 2018:
very good analysis
Scott on July 16, 2018:
There my orals done lol
angelina on July 06, 2018:
very useful !
Sommy Jane on June 26, 2018:
This was very useful
jnjkb on June 12, 2018:
meh its a good thing
Need assistance on June 05, 2018:
can u provide an elaborations on social networking can affect the privacy of youth?
dfghjkl on June 02, 2018:
jyothish on June 01, 2018:
If you have experience of using Facebook, then you will want to know all about this. I have just come across a company that is actively hiring experienced Facebook users. You can get paid great money doing this, too.
Check out all the details here…it’s well worth look: https://socialsalerep.com?hyden4475
hark on May 26, 2018:
this really helps me understand social media. thanks for the help
tyron on May 21, 2018:
my dad left as a child this article has helped me find him in the comments section thanks again i love you dad
tyron on May 21, 2018:
I enjoyed thuid article
Bats Rodz on May 15, 2018:
Priyam Devasia on April 29, 2018:
It is very very super
abdul jelil on April 26, 2018:
thanks i really appreciate
llol on April 18, 2018:
Thanks this really helped
zakir on March 21, 2018:
social media is useful ... if we use it in a limited time by not spending much time on it.i like this article it is useful for everyone some what old information but nice.
Senip on March 18, 2018:
very formal love it.
P on February 24, 2018:
This article really helps for my reaserch thankyou author :)
a on February 22, 2018:
marv was here
Me on February 15, 2018:
Old content i dont like that
Loof on February 14, 2018:
Fhg on January 24, 2018:
Not that nice
Anania@lism.com on January 12, 2018:
The social media are very good and very useful in our lives, but how we use it,, is how much will affect our future destine. So what I would like to call the society is to use such network effectively so that our fu
DIGIMON on December 18, 2017:
Rohit Raj Mishra on December 05, 2017:
Dear author, can you please explain me how social media has seperated youth from society? We can see the 21st century youths has built their own virtual society because of that they are getting far from real society.
bhosdika bharwa randi ka bacha on December 04, 2017:
great great u deserve to be kissed bhenchood good good dalay
william incledon on December 04, 2017:
i think its got very funny memes memes memes memes memes good info R the take all the time you took hugs and kisses thank you goodbye
yournan on November 20, 2017:
Sena on November 18, 2017:
This is very good, it has a lot of information and I can understand clearly - thank you
Glad that on October 17, 2017:
R the take all the time you took
Aadi on October 17, 2017:
It's very good but not excellent
Kela Babu on October 13, 2017:
Ms noyers 8th grade english class whitehill on October 04, 2017:
if any new students are looking here follow me @rad.reiley on instagram.
Bruh if u from white hill or even from the bay area dm me sayin that u saw this. ok thot
rad rizzle on October 04, 2017:
this is quality.
Rehan Raj on September 17, 2017:
I am Rehan Raj , the social media marketing, is very interesting work
And I need job. Plz helps me.
Jhonñy Çriz on September 14, 2017:
Very informative.....bt..content is less
balram on September 12, 2017:
Very nice thoughts on this
Some guy. on September 08, 2017:
As I read the comments I saw a good point raised: it's mainly about the user.
poo on August 30, 2017:
fathima on August 11, 2017:
hi, i need more information about social media among teenagers its negative consequences of their life. help me please!
Rachit pandey on August 01, 2017:
Very nice writing of effects of social media on youth
Mujtaba on July 26, 2017:
Hi sir l have a project about impact of social media on youth please help me
This is my email
jay marvin on July 05, 2017:
after reading this article, do you still use social media abuse in your life and implore it to every body specially students?
Samuel Castaneda on June 18, 2017:
I'm interested and willing to hear more from you guys and to know the events links activities wait up calls fundraisers gatherings and more all in youths sake
meme on April 26, 2017:
Now this is a story all about how my life got memed turned upside down
shardhanay on April 06, 2017:
I have learnt a lot about social media...Social media plays a big role in our daily lives but it can be really dangerous. My point of view is don't post anything that can spoil or damage your reputation...
Billyanjoe on April 05, 2017:
social media is bad
Midpoint look 1 on April 05, 2017:
I designed a simple video that talks about social networking sites
I hope you have a look at it and give me your opinion
and if you like it I hope you share it
RHIA PIDENES on March 20, 2017:
I LEARN HOW TO CONTROL BY USING SOCIAL MEDIA IN YOUTH. BECAUSE I AM THE ONE THAT USING SOCIAL MEDIA
Glad on March 14, 2017:
I love your point view i have a lot to learn!
about social media impact to everyone.
hey on March 06, 2017:
social media is great
pepe on March 03, 2017:
Good article i wish you luck josh
josh on February 22, 2017:
can you help me for my research subject guys? our research topic is The effect of excessive use of social media. I will answer the part of conceptual framework ( Paradigm ) Please help me. what will I do :(
dab on February 08, 2017:
the videos attached on this video were very helpful you guys should watch them. HAVE A GOOD DAY!
afica on February 06, 2017:
this article reminds me of my houses
MomSecure on February 01, 2017:
Great article! Is social media changing or re-wiring our teens’ brains in the Digital Age?
Social media has become an integral part of a teenager’s life. Teens aged between 13 to 18 years old spend 9 hours a day online, and 45 percent of teen users agree that social media is an important part of their lives. These “digital natives” are closely identified with technology and they cannot live without it. Today’s teens are living a hyper-connected life which may lead to online safety issues such as sexting or cyberbullying. These are just some of the risks teenagers are facing while they are online. https://momsecure.com/
jasmine on January 25, 2017:
this article is very useful
jasmine on January 25, 2017:
this article is boring yet useful because of my project in school
wot on January 23, 2017:
this comment section is cancerous
wigger on January 23, 2017:
blackcanary on January 17, 2017:
and so are you
vs3 on January 15, 2017:
its very bad i dont like this article
lololololol on January 13, 2017:
this post is stupid
Riekie on January 04, 2017:
This is very scary information, and sad that everything have to change like this
ju on January 03, 2017:
kalaiselvan on December 29, 2016:
Thank you for sharing information
Girly on December 24, 2016:
here.. All r crazyyyy people