How to Use Google Maps 3D Photo Virtual Tours
Google Maps Virtual 3D Photo Tours
How do I make a Google Maps Street View Virtual 3D Photo Tour? I show you how you can now visit and take a virtual 3D photo tour online of major cities and famous landmarks around the world. Step by step instructions with videos and photos.
- Go to Google Maps
- Type in the city and country you want to see.
- When it uploads then see if it has a 3D Photo Tour of your chosen place.
- Then go for an amazing virtual walk.
- You will feel like you are really walking within that building for real.
3D Photo Tours on Google Maps
Are you looking for a specific tourist attraction?
- Go to Google Maps
- Search for a landmark you would like to see in 3D by typing in the name.
- The results will come up on the left hand side panel of the page
- If there is a tour available it will tell you here.
- If this particular landmark has one available then click on the photo or the link
- Now you can start your online walk around this attraction.
Map of the World
- Go to Google Maps
- You will see a map of the world
- See which country you would like to visit and click this to enlarge
- The labels in each country will be visible.
- Click one and it will tell you instantly if a photo tour is also there for that landmark
Google Maps Streetview
To be able to access the 3D Photo Tours you will need to have WebGL installed on to your computer so you can access the 3D graphics. Unfortunately this software does not work if you use Internet Explorer.
You can access and use it if you use these internet browsers.
- Google Chrome
If you do not use these browsers then you can easily download one free in a matter of minutes. I use Google Chrome because it is the fastest and the best
How to Download WebGL
If you are not sure if you have WebGL installed then follow the instructions above to pick out a photo tour you want to look at. When you click on it if you do not have WebGL you will be given the option of installing it from a pop up box from Google. It will say ‘You must enable Maps GL’ then press ok.
New York City
Who will Benefit
People Going on Vacation
If they are unsure which places to visit on their next holiday in certain cities because of time restrictions then this is the answer. Tourists can visit famous places first online with Google Maps 3D Photo Tours and then decide which attractions to visit for real.
Teachers and Students
Teachers can use it in schools and colleges to make the learning experience for their students more interesting and memorable. Just imagine if students are studying American History for instance.
This particular day the subject is about the Alamo. The teacher can use the Google Maps photo tour of the Alamo and show it on the big screen connected to their computer. That would be impressive and make the history lesson so much more interesting and fun.
Painters can use it to get a better feel and prospective so they can create great paintings of these famous buildings. There are a few artists who earn a living by painting famous landmarks and buildings from all over the world.
They do not visit these places in reality but access the photos from Google Maps. That was before this new Google Maps 3D Photos Tour came about so they will be very pleased with this new development.
Writers of Fiction and non Fiction Books
Writers can use it to use as scenes in their fiction writing where their characters are visiting far places in the world. They can describe their characters walking around and what they see because now the writer can do just that from their laptop computers.
Non Fiction writers and those who write articles can also take advantage of the 3D photo effects of the Google Tours to show exactly what the places look like. Those who write articles online can leave a link too so that the reader of their article can enjoy visual facts as well.
Google Earth 3D Tour
How Has Google Created This
They picked a famous tourist attraction and combined the best photos from their Picasa and Panoramio photo sharing service that people uploaded when they visited that place for real.
Then they used they new technology to arrange the photos overlapping the best ones together in a way that anyone who uses Google Maps can now go online and take a 3D tour of that attraction. And let me tell you it is impressive technology.
If people labelled the photos they uploaded in Picasa and Panoramio as ‘Public’ then if good enough they may be used for photo tours. If Google Maps uses your photo then you get to have your name there too. The 15,000 tours can be accessed directly from Google's Maps service.
Tours of 15,000 Famous Landmarks in 3D
Some of these are:
- Central Park in New York, America
- Yosemite National Park in California, America
- Statue of Liberty in America
- The Alamo in America
- George Washington: Museum and Mount Vernon Estate in America
- The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, America
- Carnegie Hall, in New York, America
- The Plaza Hotel in New York, America
- Yankee Stadium in New York, America
- Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox Baseball in Boston America
- The National Baseball Hall of Fame in New York, America
- Pro Football Hall of Fame in America
- Emigrates Stadium, Arsenal Football Ground in London, UK
- Buckingham Palace in London, England
- Tower of London in London, UK
- Palace of Westminster in London, UK
- Sydney Opera House in Australia
- St. Mark’s Basilica in Italy
- Trevi Fountain in Italy
- Colosseum inRome, Italy
- Royal Palace of Milan, Italy
- St Mark's Basilica in Venice
- Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, Germany
- Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Royal Palace of Amsterdam, Netherlands
Virtual Tours Online
This new feature is really awesome and so easy to use. As a teacher or student it can be used to great effect for study and learning. If you plan to go on holiday you can see if your destination has any 3D photo tours online. Then you can plan your vacation around these famous landmarks.
Or if you are unable to travel for real then why not have a go at visiting some of those famous places online instead. Now you can see famous sites from around the world. I guarantee it that you will be impressed.