Kent is a content creator who enjoys sharing her knowledge about consumer tech. She enjoys playing Black Desert Mobile.
Why Hide Your Likes and Views?
If you have recently updated your Instagram, chances are you now have the ability to hide not only your Instagram post likes but also your post views. Before, everyone can see your post’s total like count and views. It’s all for the public to see!
While this may seem like a good thing, it is also undeniable that a lot of users have become too obsessed with metrics. It’s as if everything has become a numbers game.
The “Like Culture”
In today’s society, people have fully adapted to the consumption of digital media to the point that it can be difficult to live without it. Social media has become a part of life but it has also affected how some people perceive self-worth. With likes and views becoming a determinant of someone’s influence and success, it is easy to forget that quality doesn’t always equate to popularity.
Sometimes, you just want to live in the moment or rekindle your life’s most memorable experiences. You just want to post something that is valuable to you or upload something that makes you happy. Whatever likes and views you get, they don’t matter much. Thus, having the ability to control how you want your post to be seen is quite liberating.
With the new "hide likes count" feature, you now have the choice of when to hide your post likes as well as the freedom to unhide it for everyone to see. You are now in control.
With this feature, you can hide the like count and total views of your own posts. You can also set this feature in such a way that you won’t be able to see the like count and total views from other accounts.
To do this, you simply need to follow the steps listed below.
How to Hide Your Own Instagram Likes and Views
- Open your Instagram app and create a new post by either uploading a photo or video.
- Edit your post as needed. You may also add captions and tags.
- When your new post is almost ready to be shared, don’t press the “Share” button yet. Instead, scroll all the way down and look for the option at the bottom that says “Advanced Settings”. Tap on it and turn on the option for “Hide Like and View Counts on This Post”.
- Once turned on, go back and finish sharing your post!
Do note that the said setting will only be applied to that specific post. If you want to hide the like and view count of your other posts then you need to set them up individually.
Recommended for you
Can You Hide the Likes and Views of Multiple Posts at Once?
When it comes to your own posts, there is no bulk hide feature yet. Therefore, you need to do it per post. It’s going to be quite tedious especially if you already have a lot of photos and videos posted on your account.
Hide the Like and View Counts on Posts from Other Accounts
- Open your Instagram app and go to your profile.
- Go to your account menu and select “Settings”.
- Go to “Privacy” then select “Posts”.
- Look for the “Likes and Views” section and turn on the option for “Hide Like and View Counts”.
- Once switched on, you will no longer be able to see the total number of likes and views of the posts shared by other accounts. They will only appear as “Liked by user1 and others”.
The steps mentioned above work as long as you are on the Instagram app. It doesn’t matter if you’re on Android or iPhone. It won’t work on the web version of Instagram.
What to Do When You Can’t See the Hide Like Count Option?
If you are unable to see the "hide likes count" option despite following the steps mentioned, it is likely that your Instagram app has not yet been updated to the latest version. What you need to do is update the app to the latest version and then relaunch it.
Repeat the steps again and see if the "hide likes count" option is already visible.
Now that you know how to hide your Instagram likes as well as the like counts of others, it’d be easier to focus more on what is being shared.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Kent Peligrino