Kent is a content creator who enjoys sharing her knowledge about consumer tech. She enjoys playing Black Desert Mobile.
Back in the day, only accounts with 10K followers and above were able to add links to their Stories. Once your account meets the criteria, the add link option shows up together with the main options you see when adding a story. To view a link, users must perform the “swipe up” action while viewing the story. Doing so automatically opens the link in Instagram’s in-app browser.
While it was fun swiping up Stories just to open links, it wasn’t as pleasing to those who can’t utilize the said feature because of their insufficient follower count. Thankfully, that is no longer the case.
Instagram has since officially made this feature available to everyone. To add a link to a story, you no longer need to wait until you reach a certain number of followers. Along with this change, users can now view links without swiping up stories. All that’s needed is to tap the link shown.
The option to add a link to an Instagram Story is available as a sticker. It appears alongside other Story stickers such as questions, countdown, and location.
How to Add a Link to Instagram Story
To add a link to an Instagram Story, you simply need to follow these steps:
- Open your Instagram app. Make sure that you are at the section where it displays your feed. If not, click the home icon from the bottom menu.
- Once you’re on your Instagram Feed section, simply swipe left. This should automatically load your upload and share post options. Make sure that the selection shown is for “Story.”
- Next, simply tap the big white circle button to take a photo. Long-press the same button to record a video. Modify the story according to your liking. You can add filters, text, and even music. You can also doodle on it.
- Once you are satisfied with how your story appears, tap the add stickers icon. It should display a list of stickers that you can add to your story. Just look for the link sticker or type “link” on the search bar.
- Once you see the link sticker, tap on it and then enter the full URL of the site or page you want to link to. Tap “Done.”
- Hold and drag the link sticker to whichever position you want it to appear in your story. Resize it using pinch to zoom. Tap the link sticker to change its style.
- Upload and share your story when done. It’s that easy!
One Link Sticker Per Story
When adding a link to a story, note that you cannot add more than one link sticker per story. If you want to share multiple links, you’ll have to upload multiple story sequences. Once added as a sticker, you also cannot change or modify the URL. You need to delete the link sticker first and then add it again to change the URL.
What Happens if Your Instagram Link Sticker Isn’t Showing?
If you have trouble finding the link sticker despite carefully following the steps listed above, you can try updating your Instagram app if you still haven’t updated it to the latest version.
If you still can’t find the link sticker, your account could be restricted from using this feature. This could be due to repeated sharing of links that the reels sharing platform may deem as a violation of its terms.
Why Add Links to Your Instagram Stories?
Adding a link to your IG Story can help increase user engagement as well as conversion. This feature works especially well for accounts that typically sell or advertise products. Meanwhile, those with websites or blogs can utilize this feature to encourage followers to read the full post or article.
A lot of users can certainly benefit from this feature, not just those with a huge follower count. Nonetheless, this doesn’t mean that you can share whatever links you want. Always see to it that the links you share add value to your stories. Avoid sharing cloaked links or any form of deceptive links as this could only lead to your account being restricted or worse, permanently banned.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Kent Peligrino