Kent is a content creator who enjoys sharing her knowledge about consumer tech. She enjoys playing Black Desert Mobile.
When it comes to Instagram stories, the story uploader can usually see the users who viewed the story. By clicking the “Seen by” option, the story uploader can also choose to block or restrict a certain user from viewing a story. This can be a downside, especially in certain circumstances where you are restricted from viewing a story.
By viewing Instagram stories as an anonymous user, you can view any story without getting noticed. You also don’t have to worry about getting blocked or restricted. This is because you will be viewing these stories without using your account. Therefore, you won’t get tracked. The account that uploaded and shared the story won’t be able to tell if you’ve even viewed the story at all! You also get to view stories from almost any account right in your web browser.
You Cannot View Stories Anonymously Via the Instagram App
The Instagram app currently does not have a built-in feature that allows users to view stories anonymously. The only way to do this is to view the story using third-party tools. This also means that you’ll have to do it outside of the photo-sharing app’s interface and not within the app.
Since you’re not going to view stories using the app, you can easily do so as an anonymous user. You simply need to follow the simple steps outlined below, and by doing so, you’ll be able to view any story that’s been publicly posted or shared.
Using Third-Party Online Tools to View Stories Without Others Knowing
Speaking of which, there are multiple tools that offer users the option to view Stories on Instagram without an account or without getting tracked. Just keep in mind that not all of these tools work as advertised. The good thing about opting for this method is that it is completely free. You are also not required to create an account, download any application or install any software.
A Quick Reminder Before You Proceed
Use this method responsibly. Should you decide to proceed, don’t forget to abide by Instagram's rules. You will be held accountable for any action that you will do with whatever content you view and acquire from any of the accounts on the said social media platform.
How to View Instagram Stories Anonymously With the Insta-Stories Website
- Open your web or mobile browser, then go to the Insta-Stories homepage. This is a third-party tool or service that lets you view any story from Instagram without getting noticed. You can use this tool for free. There is also no need to log in or sign up for an account.
- Once you're on the homepage, just enter the username of the account that you wish to view. You can either include the @ handle in the username or just leave it out. You can also directly paste the full profile URL from your clipboard. It's up to you. If you've typed the account username correctly, the account profile should be immediately shown to you.
- Just like in the Instagram app, you simply need to tap into the profile photo to view the story. You will know if there's a story available for viewing because the profile photo will have a colorful ring surrounding it.
GreatFon: An Alternative Option
Should there be an instance where the above method fails to work, you can try this alternative method.
- Open the GreatFon homepage using your web browser or mobile browser. This tool works in almost the same way as InstaStories but with a slight difference.
- Once you're on the homepage, just enter the username of the account that you wish to view. You can include the @ handle in the username, or you can simply skip it.
- After doing so, it should display a list of profiles that is the best match for your search. Click the profile that you like to view.
- Once you're on the profile, you won't be able to view stories directly via the profile photo. Instead, you need to find and click the yellow button that says "Show @Username Stories." It should be located right under the profile info section.
- Once you click that button, it will display all the stories that are available for viewing. Just click on the story that you want to view, and it should be immediately displayed on your screen.
- Just click "X" on the story viewer to close the story and then select another story to view.
That's basically it!
This Trick Only Works on Stories That Are Publicly Shared
By following the steps above, you can view stories without getting noticed, as your username or account won’t appear on the “Seen by” section of the story that you viewed. Thus, you can still get updates and view the stories of the accounts you follow without the need to log in to the Instagram app.
Just note that this method only works on public accounts and creator accounts. If the Instagram account is private or if the story shared is set to “Close Friends” only, then you won’t be able to view the story even if you attempt to view it anonymously.
Disadvantages of Viewing Instagram Stories as an Anonymous User
If there are advantages to anonymous viewing, there are also disadvantages. Since you are viewing anonymously, you can’t engage or interact with the story posted should there be a need to do so (ex. IG story polls). Another disadvantage is that it will tend to stir your curiosity even more, especially if you’re in the process of letting go and moving on.
Proceed With Caution
If you truly wish to view stories on Instagram as an anonymous user, then the above methods should definitely help. Just know that while it is completely possible, it doesn’t mean you can always do so.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2021 Kent Peligrino