How to Connect Google Drive to Plex Cloud
Plex Media Server has added a Plex Cloud feature that lets you connect to select, partnering cloud storage providers, and then access that content through Plex without having to store it locally. Partnering cloud storage providers include Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, and Dropbox. However, you can only connect your Plex Cloud account to one cloud storage provider at a time, and you must be a Plex Pass member to access this feature. This article walks you through how to connect Plex Cloud to your Google Drive account.
Process for Connecting Google Drive to Plex Cloud
- Open the Plex Media Server software on your computer, and then log in to the application.
- Click the drop-down in the upper right corner of the screen next to the icon associated with your user name, and then choose "Account" in the context menu that appears. The account page is displayed on the screen.
- Select "Plex Cloud" in the choices that appear on the left side of the screen.
- Choose the orange "Link" text next to Google Drive in the list of cloud providers you can connect Plex Cloud to. Other cloud providers you can connect to Plex Cloud include OneDrive and Dropbox.
- Log in to the Google account associated with the Google Drive account you want to connect to. A screen appears, telling you that Plex Cloud wants to view and manage your Google Drive files, view your email address, and view your profile information.
- Click "Allow" to give Google the requested permissions. You'll be redirected to the home screen for your Plex Media Server home screen where you'll be prompted to log in to the application.
- Enter the login information for your Plex account. Upon successfully logging in, a message will appear informing you that you've successfully connected Google Drive to Plex Cloud.
- Choose "Continue" in the message that appears on the screen. Plex Cloud will appear as the server you're currently connected to in the upper left corner of the application.
How to Add Plex Managed User Account
Process for Adding Google Drive Content to Plex Cloud
- Open the Plex Media Server application on your computer.
- Click the server name that appears in the upper left corner of the application, and then select "Plex Cloud" to ensure that it's your selected server. An orange Add Library icon appears on the right side of the screen.
- Choose "Add Library." The Add Library display window appears on the screen.
- Click "Select Type" in the list of options on the left side of the screen. Content types you can choose from include: Movies, TV Shows, Photos, Music, and Other Videos.
- Enter a name associated with the library you're creating in the "Name" field and then select "Next." The Add Folder section appears.
- Select "Browse for Media Folder." A Google Drive icon appears on the left side of the window, and a list of all of the folders in your connected Google Drive account appears on the right side of the screen.
- Navigate through the Google Drive folder structure to the folder you want to add to Plex Cloud.
- Click "Add," keeping in mind that you can only add one folder at a time. You'll be redirected to the Add Library window where you'll see the path to the specific folder you chose to add content from.
- Select "Add Library." You'll be redirected to the Plex Media Server home display. A message appears informing you that the content libraries you chose to add are being updated. Shortly thereafter, content will start appearing in the window. Depending on the size and amount of content you chose to add, it may take a while before it all gets processed in your Plex Cloud library.
Disconnect Google Drive from Plex Cloud
Plex only makes it possible to connect one cloud storage provider to your Plex Cloud account at a time. As a result, if you want to connect a OneDrive account or a Dropbox account to Plex Cloud, you must first disconnect your Google Drive account. You can disconnect your Google Drive account from Plex Cloud by doing the following:
- Navigate to your Account page, and then click "Plex Cloud" along the left side of the screen.
- Click the "Unlink" option that appears to the right of Google Drive. A message appears informing you that if you unlink from Google Drive that you will no longer be able to access that content within Plex.
- Click to place a check mark to the left of "Yes, unlink Google Drive."
- Click the red "Unlink" button to continue. You will now be able to connect Plex Cloud to another available cloud storage provider.
- Plex Cloud is a feature that's only available to Plex Pass members. A Plex Pass membership is a paid service.
- You can only connect one cloud storage provider to Plex Cloud. The three cloud storage providers you can connect to are Google Drive, OneDrive, and Dropbox.
- If you unlink a cloud storage provider from Plex Cloud, that content is still available through that cloud storage provider.
Questions & Answers
I have tried doing this, and it still does not work. My app under "account" does not say "Plex Cloud" it says "Cloud Sync." Do you have any suggestions?
I think Plex actually took this feature down a few months ago because they were having issues with it. I would keep an eye on their blog and website for when this feature may be available again for Plex subscribers, as this feature is only available to Plex Pass subscribers. It's good in premise, but it definitely had some issues.
© 2017 Max Dalton